Friday, 2 September 2011

Cheesy Lentil Wedges

My food blogging continues to feature more yellow food, albeit a little golden around the edges.
These 'Cheesy Lentil Wedges' happen to be a 'Crank's recipe

I think it needs modernising, but before I tampered with it I thought I’d try the original version.
These triangle fans of lentils were more like a firm Paté, that would be excellent spread on crusty bread, but I couldn't think what else they would be that good with.
Cheesy Lentil wedges
Makes about 8
Ingredients
225g red lentils
450ml water or vegetable stock
1 large onion, minced
25g butter
100g Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoons red mixed herbs
1 egg,
25g fresh breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Cook the lentils in the measured water until soft and all the liquid has been absorbed. Set aside to cool
Melt the butter in a saucepan and fry the onions until soft. Combine all the ingredients together and press into an oiled 9 inch tin. Bake in the oven Gas Mark 5 for 30 – 40 minutes. Serve hot or cold, in wedges. From The Cranks Recipe Book: Cranks Restaurants

9 comments:

  1. I think I'll give this a go, I bet they would be nice with a nice crunchy fresh salad.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bookmarked! Great recipe for weekend brunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is very similar to one of my standbys. Originally from the Bean Book, it used green peppers and doesn't have the breadcrumbs, also tomato paste so it is more orange than yellow. Oh, and it's a flan so is baked in a pastry case. I really like it, hot is best with green veg of some sort or salads but cold is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On crusty bread. Mmmmmmmm, that sounds like a good plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice :) I would probably add a crust and some crunchy vegetables to the recipe.
    I used to eat at the Cranks near Goodgestreet in London (that was the tube station next to my uni). Shame it doesn't exist anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the old Cranks cookbook, and I still use it, so I recognised this, it is a BIG favourite of mine and as my family are nearly all vegetarian, I must make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks pretty good though. I think maybe you could just make the filling a little wetter and put it in a pie crust so it's an actual tart? I would suggest sauteing leeks and onions and adding to the mixture for more moisture (though we don't eat those now ourselves). What do you think? I might try and adapt this anyway. I loved Cranks. I don't know why it closed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these look great to me - I am a fan of some of the old fashioned cranks recipes - though I would probably add a few extra flavours

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been making this for years and like it best hot with a crunchy homemade coleslaw. If you want more carbs then it's also good with pasta salad or add a jacket potato. As it's an old favourite I tend not to measure, so the texture varies slightly, but the top should be nice and golden, slightly crunchy/chewy to contrast with the softer bottom. Doesn't need a pastry base as all, much to floury then. I add extra veg sometimes, e.g. finely diced carrot sweated with the onions, or a finely diced courgette, leeks too. Excellent reheated too.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You