Thursday, 22 September 2011

Black Sesame Seed Coleslaw

That cabbage I picked up at the weekend is still feeding us well.  Not only have we had Thai Yellow Cabbage Curry and Creamy Cabbage Pies, this time it had to be a Coleslaw of sorts.
I do like the traditional coleslaw, but as you may know I am all for expanding my culinary repertoire. Having tried coleslaw with raisins, Sri Racha, and wasabi, I was quite keen to try a sesame flavoured one. Not only is this coleslaw scented with toasted sesame oil, it also has a scattering of black sesame seeds.

The last time I used black sesame seeds was for the Oyster Mushroom 'Calamari'. The flavour of black sesame seeds is similar to the white variety - nutty, except it has a slight bitterness. I've read that they are mainly used for visual effect, than taste. I served this coleslaw at lunch simply with some jacket potatoes. I felt positively healthy eating it.  I don't know about you, but these days I need a tooth pick as I sometimes find seeds stuck between my teeth.  Funny how that happens as you get older.  
Black Sesame Seed Coleslaw
Serves 4
½ green cabbage, shredded
1 medium red onion, finely sliced
1 large carrot, shredded
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
75ml – 100ml rice vinegar
2 – 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
2 – 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, preferably black; or combination of both
Put the cabbage into a bowl with the red onion, and mix with your hands to separate the pieces. Add the carrot and mix well.
In a small bowl, combine the sesame oil, vinegar, mustard and salt. Add the dressing to the cabbage mix and stir well. Refrigerate the slaw for at least 1 hour so the cabbage can soften.
Toast the sesame seeds to bring out the flavour. Allow them to cool. Just before serving, scatter the seeds over the slaw, toss well. Adapted from Vegetarian Planet.


  1. Beautiful colours - and I think I would like the flavour combination too.

  2. Thank you so much Mark,
    I thought so too, plus it tasted good. I do think you will like it.

  3. That looks so inviting. Very impressed you didn't use mayo in your coleslaw - I do and it's not very healthy!!
    Must get some of those seeds. They aren't the same as kalonji are they?

  4. Thanks Plummy Mummy,
    Have to be honest, we don't often have mayo in our coleslaw; and when we do - very little.
    Nah, the black sesame seeds are very different from kalonji seeds (also known as Nigella seeds).

    Thank you so, so much SKR.
    Your blog is lovely too.

  5. Oooo definitely need to make this for my lunch! I love almost all cole slaw (just not the kind with pickles).

  6. I checked out your blog and i'm really impressed with the recipes and photos. You cook really healthy. That's what more people need, especially here in the US. Enjoyed your blog!

  7. Thank you Lauren. I was a nice change.

    Thank you so, so much Healthy Educator.
    The diets of many people in the U.K is also not so good. One of the things i hope to do with my blog, is just to encourage people to eat more vegetables. I have to be honest and point out that not all my recipes are healthy, sometimes you have to indulge in veggie goodness.

  8. This recipe looks great. I linked it in an answer in the Food & Recipes category on Yahoo Answers.

    A contributor was inquiring about a recipe for a yellow coleslaw she had had that contained black seeds and this was the closest thing I could find!

    (it would have helped considerably if she would have mentioned the name or type of restaurant) but the glass is half full.

    The rather vague search resulted in my landing on your lovely sesame oil/seed coleslaw recipe and it looks scrummy.

    I'm saving you to my desktop and plan to peruse all recipes.

    ..much obliged,

    Yahoo Answers Q & A:;_ylt=AgRUhXlmejsunAW7KshoubDsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20121102131357AAM1LRi


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You