Thursday, 8 September 2011

Soba Noodles with Soy-Ginger Sweet Potatoes

You may have or may not have noticed, but the last seven days I have been physically away from the computer and blogging.  I have spent the past week down south and all the posts that have appeared are thanks to the technical magic of blogger, permitting bloggers to schedule advanced blog posts.  Even though I have utilised this scheduling of posts method heavily the past week, I have to be honest and say, I am undecided whether I really like this feature.  Oh it certainly has its benefits, but I feel it in some way takes away from the blogging interaction experience, as I have unable to respond to comments at the time.  Therefore, I would like to say Thank you to everyone who has come by while I have been away and to those who have taken time to leave a comment, it is appreciated.

Anyway, we arrived back in the west of Scotland late this afternoon.  I had already decided to make Arriabiata Pasta when we got in, stopping at one of the local shops only for milk and bread, but when I got in I saw a large sweet potato in the vegetable basket.  So the menu was changed from Arrabiata to this: 'Soba Noodles with Soy-Ginger Sweet Potatoes'.
The recipe is quite straight forward and other than the sweet potatoes, relies a lot on what I consider to be store cupboard ingredients, (yes, for me fresh ginger and garlic are store cupboard ingredients). I wasn't completely sure whether this noodle dish would be welcomed by D, especially having driven about 7 hours and then possibly being fed a duff meal, especially after the rich delicious goodness he's been tucking into at my mothers house.  So I was all apologetic to him in advance thinking that this was going to receive a big thumbs down, but surprisingly it tasted really good.  The soy blemished sweet potato cubes were flavour packed with a ginger kick.  I especially loved the flavoured mayo and know I will be making it again as its quite versatile.  I think it would be good over baked potatoes, or to jazz up a plain mayo coleslaw.
I am submitting this to I am submitting this to Presto Pasta Nights. PPN was founded by Ruth Daniels of Once Upon a Feast and each Friday night a different host posts a roundup of pasta dishes submitted by bloggers from around the world. This week PPN#231 is being hosted by Juli of Pictures of All My Princesses.

Soba Noodles with Soy-Ginger Sweet Potatoes
Serves 2 (can easily be doubled)
For the Soy-Ginger Sweet Potatoes
1 large sweet potato
50ml Tamari or soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into even sized 1 inch cubes.  Place in a small ovenproof dish or non stick baking tin.
Mix the sauce with the ginger and garlic and pour the mixture over the potatoes.  Stir well so all the potatoes are coated.  Then bake in the oven at Gas mark 4 for 30 minutes until tender.
For the Cayenne-Sesame Mayonnaise
Whilst the sweet potatoes are baking, make the flavoured mayonnaise.
4 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
¼ cayenne pepper
Salt to taste
Mix the mayonnaise with the sesame oil.  Whisk in the lemon juice.  Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste. 
For the soba noodles
Follow the packet instructions.
To assemble
As soon as the soba noodles are cooked, drain.  Drizzle with a little toasted sesame oil, then stir in the baked soy-ginger sweet potatoes, then generously drizzle over the cayenne-sesame mayonnaise.  Serve immediately.  Adapted from Vegetarian with a Vengeance.


  1. Hello and welcome back! Delicious recipe, I'm go to make this noodles. I admire how you always write your blog, no matter how, where or when!


  2. Oh my this looks delicious and easy to make (a must for me). I think I will be trying this. I can "re-veganize" it by using Vegenaise in place of the mayo.

  3. Easy and delicious pasta! Love that mayonnaise topping...

  4. I've never tried soba noodles. This dish looks really tasty. I agree that the mayo would be great over some coleslaw.

  5. Looks really delicious! Welcome back I hope you had a nice time away!

  6. Thanks Gloria.

    Thank you so much Verónica.
    Your comment is really appreciated!

    Thank you Miss Rachel.
    Yes it is easy to make, great for stand by meals. It will be easy to "veganize" by using Vegenaise :) I do hope you enjoy.

  7. Thank you Treat and Trick.

    Thanks Candy.
    soba noodles are much lighter than normal pasta, but they are an acquired taste.

    Thank you so much Elise.
    I've been rather busy and have lots of photos - less of food and more of Wales to share this time :)

  8. Another sweet potato dish to look forward to, though I wish it were in season right now. Yum...

  9. Soba noodles are my absolute favourite, there is something about their flavour that absolutely beats other noodles. I usually make big noodle soups with miso and lots of veggies though x

  10. Thank you Gay.

    Thanks Zoe.
    Soba noodles are relatively new to me, they are so light. I will have to try and make a big bowl of noodle soup with miso and lots of veggies too


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You