Monday, 12 September 2011

Green Tomato Chutney

I first made this recipe in the Autumn of 2006 with my own homegrown green tomatoes
This time the green tomatoes came from my mothers garden in Wales, and if you look closely you will see some green chillies nestled amongst them too.  I didn't just come back with these, I also brought back with me some pears from my mums garden; and eating apples from my Dads allotment, but more about that later. 
With it being blustery and rainy outside, as well as Hurricane Katia coming our direction, we stayed mostly indoors this weekend.  I found myself spending a lot of the time in the kitchen. 

I do miss my kitchen when I am away.  Whilst I was at my parents, I was eager to help out and do a little cooking, even if it was just stirring the sauce in the pot, but neither my mother or sister-in-laws would permit  me to do so as I was their guest today.  However, they did let me make some apple crumble for them with apples I had foraged in North Wales.  I was pleased with my foraged cooking apples as I knew I was coming home to none of my own this year, as the harsh winds had knocked each one of them out of the tree early this year. Not only am I disappointed, I know the waxwings will be too when they come.
Anyway, back to the 'green apple chutney'.  This chutney is not spicy at all, but neither is it overly sweet.  I am linking this to Daphne's Dandylions for this weeks Harvest Monday; and The Gardener of Eden.
This chutney will keep in the fridge tightly sealed for a couple of months.
Green Tomato Chutney
Makes 4 x 245g jars
2 large onions
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
1 tablespoon coriander seeds, freshly ground
½ ground allspice
About 875g green tomatoes, chopped
210g sugar
60ml vinegar
150ml water
Handful of raisins or sultanas (or combination of both)
In a large saucepan, combine the onions and oil over a medium heat.  Add the ginger, coriander and allspice.  Cook the onions with the spices for about 10 minutes.  Add the green tomatoes, sugar and vinegar.  Add the water and let the chutney simmer for about an hour, stirring from time to time.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the raisins or sultanas.  Let the chutney cook, then transfer to jars with tight-fitting lids. 


  1. interesting addition of sultanas or raisins:
    think I'll be making lots of this as we've had little sun to ripen our fruits:
    I add a few crushed cardamon pods to mine for zing ^_^

  2. This recipe sounds great! I will definitely try it on my last tomatoes this year. Thanks a lot:)
    Cesars trädgård

  3. Oooh this one sounds good. Hopefully I'll get a good crop of tomatoes this year and give it a try.

  4. What a great idea for green tomatoes. The tomato plants here in New England are pooped out, aided along by a couple of tropical storms that damaged the tops of the plants. All I have left are some smaller green tomatoes and I was thinking pickles. Chutney sounds much tastier.

  5. Thank you Chocolategirl64.
    It was just meant to be raisins, but I don't have any - works well. Its sounds like you've had simialr weather to my mum as not many of her tomatoes ripened.
    PS I know Your teasing me about the crushed cardamon pods, as I know you know that I don't like them, but of course your welcome to as many as you wish :)

    Thank you Charlotta.
    I hope you enjoy , its good with cheddar cheese.

  6. Wow, what a great recipe for green tomatoes! I only have two tomato plants remaining and they only have green tomatoes on them! I am not sure if they will have time to turn to red or not as the temperatures are beginning to cool here! Thanks so much for sharing! Happy Gardening and Cooking! Mindy

  7. Thank you Liz.
    I hop eyou like it if you get roudn to making it.

    Thanks Dave.
    I think the tomato plants in the U.K haven't done so well either as the weather here has been not too good this year, so I can see lots of green chutney being made. I do hope you enjoy, please let me know how you like it if you do make it.

  8. Thank you for your lovely comment Mindy.
    If you do make this I do hope you enjoy. One way my mother allows tomatoes to ripen is to leave them on the window sill - may do the trick, otherwise you have this chutney recipe to fall back on.
    Happy Gardening and Cooking to you too!

  9. I made a batch of chutney yesterday. My wife was skeptical but after tasting it she declared it "very, very, very good". We used it on hamburgers (sorry, not vegetarian but awfully good). I substituted Splenda for the sugar to reduce its carb content and it worked.

  10. Dave,
    I am so glad your wife liked it and that your variation of cheese worked out well too. Oh no need to apologise about what you eat, as long as you enjoyed the recipe. You must try it on good crusty white bread with cheddar cheese and a scoop of this chutney - I found it real good.
    Also, thank you so much for choosing to become a follower.

  11. I love pickled green tomatoes, and have never tried a green tomato chutney. Your recipe sounds wonderful.

  12. Thank you so much Greensleeves.
    I am so glad you like this and hope you enjoy it as much when you receive a jar of it.

  13. This sounds like a great green tomato recipe! I'm going to have to save this one for next year's green tomatoes! Thanks for joining the fun!

  14. Some very interesting vegetable recipes you have. I am always looking for different ways to serve my vegetables. Fresh is however mostly done here so now it will be from the pantry canned or the freezer frozen.

  15. I will have to give this a try with any of the green tomatoes I have that refuse to ripen on my windowsill.

    Also, holy cow, those are the coolest looking jars I have ever seen!

  16. Ooooh this looks good! I really must buy some nice jars - I tend to recycle but I keep seeing everyone's beautiful preserves in lovely jars and I'm getting jar envy (ridiculous I know but true...). I'm sad for your apples.

  17. Thank you Robin.
    It is a lovely recipe, I am enjoying it simply with cheddar cheese. I've also linked up to you blog, forgot to do it earlier on.

    Thank you so, so much Wilderness.
    I try to create interesting recipes to eat vegetables, otehrwise they can be considered boring by some. Its getting cold in Scotland too, so much of what I may be cooking over the next few months will be similar to your -
    from the pantry, canned or the freezer frozen.

    Thank you Prairie Cat.
    I do hope you like this chutney. Its a great way to use up excess green tomatoes.

    Re the jars, they are lovely to look at - but I won't be gettin this style again, the jam gets stuck in the corners, difficult to get out and difficult to wash!

    Thank you so much Liz.
    I do tend to recycle too, but these were ones I had to purchase as a couple can only recycle so many glass jars. There is one issue with these, as the jam jars a re square, the jam is hard to scoop from the cornders, also making it hard to wash. Still they stack well!

    Yeah I was rather disappointed with the apple tree this year, but not as much for when the waxwings fly over - they should be due any time now.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You