Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Creamy Cabbage Pie

Perfect to make and eat on those rainy days.

Why perfect for rainy days? Well this pie is a little time consuming .  It will keep you busy in the kitchen as you have to make everything from scratch - the pastry, the creamy white sauce, and the vegetable filling.
Unlike many of my other vegetable pies that are often on the dry side requiring a good dollop of dark gravy, this is a creamy vegetable pie.  Its not just filled with shredded cabbage.  It also has celery and grated carrots. 

Not that I am much into following foodie trends, but a lot of the pies that are being showcased in foodie magazines at the moment are topless, by that I mean without lids.  I had decided to go with the flow, but I have to point out and admit that this was not deliberate.  It was all very accidental as I just forgot to make double quantity of the pastry.  Plenty for the base, but not enough for the covering, so I had to re-roll the pastry scraps for the presentable topping; and of course an umbrella just seemed appropriate.
Here I have made individual pies, but for ease you can also make one large pie that can easily be sliced. By the way, if you like the look of this cabbage pie, check out this link too.  I am sharing this recipe with Fabilicious Food who is hosting September: Simple And In Season; as well as linking it at The Hearth and Soul blog hop hosted by 21st Century HousewifeTea for Two hosted by The Plumed Pen, and Fat Tuesdays hosted by Real Food Forager; and Wednesday Cast Party#15 hosted by Lady behind the curtain.
Creamy Cabbage Pie
Fro the pastry to line a 9 inch pastry tin
Double quantity if you want to make a covered pie
180g plain flour
pinch of salt
75g cold butter
2 - 3 tablespoons water
Method for pastry
Mix in the flour and salt in a large bowl.  Rub in the butter , lifting it high with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.  Sir in a little cold water and form it into a stiff ball.  Leave it to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes or so before using.
When you are ready to roll the pastry.  Roll it out onto a lightly floured board. 
Oil a pie dish well and lift the pastry into it.  Trim the excess pastry* with a sharp knife.  Blind bake at gas mark 6 for 15 - 20 minutes.  Set aside to cool.
*Re-roll the pastry for topping if you wish

For the white sauce
50g butter
50g plain flour
½- ¾ pint milk depending on the required thickness
Salt and pepper to taste
Method for the white sauce
Melt the butter, add the flour and stir into a roux.  Stir and cook for a few minutes.  Reduce the heat and slowly add in the milk, stirring each addition in thoroughly before the next step.  Continue this until all the milk has been added, and slowly bring to a simmer allowing the sauce to thicken.  Then season with salt and pepper and set aside.

For the vegetable filling
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small cabbage head, shredded
2 sticks of celery, sliced
2 carrots, grated
3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
In a wide pan, heat the oil then add the cabbage and saute with the lid on for a few minutes, until the cabbage begins to soften.  Remember to stir from time to time.  When the cabbage is nearly soft, stir int he celery and carrots and saute for a couple of minutes. 
Then tip the sauteed vegetables, along with the parsley into the white sauce and stir well.  Season with salt and pepper.  Leave to cool.
To assemble.
Preheat the oven to gas mark 7.
Gently spread the creamy vegetable filling into the pastry case. 
Top with optional pastry covering.
Bake in oven for 30 - 40 minutes.  Recipes adapted from The Wharf Street Vegetarian Cafe Cookbook by Jill Gibbon.


  1. That is my type of pie, sounds delicious and I love the extra touches you put into your dishes - the umbrella is great and made me laugh. Also noted you had the pie cases I've been eyeing up in cookery shops for years now. Are they any good?

  2. it looks just lovely and must be yummy :) i love the umbrella!
    have a sweet day,

  3. These lovely creamy cabbage pies sound delicious, and I do love the pastry umbrellas! How perfect for autumn! Thank you for sharing this delicious post with the Hearth and Soul hop.

  4. What an unusual idea, I've never seen anything like that. I really like it and think I might try and make it this weekend.

  5. loving the cabbage recipes, thanks for posting!

  6. How can you make cabbage look cute and appealing?
    Congrats you just did!!! ;)

  7. Dear Shaheen,

    What a darling, 'rainy day' pie.., So cute!

    Happy Tuesday tea day and have marvelous week!

    Hugs from Wanda Lee

  8. Thank you Choclette.
    Yes the umbrella did make me smile too, esp as it seems to be raining here all the time.
    The small cake tins are okay, but not great for pastry pies. These pies in the picture are too big for someone like me to eat, so its enough for two, but they are good for small cakes.

    Thank you Justyna.
    So good to hear from you :)

    Thank you so, so much April.
    Your comment is most appreciated.

  9. Thanks Janice.
    Sometimes my husband picks up a vegetarian style Vegetable Pies in the freezer section of supermarkets made by a well known name. I have to say I have always been disappointed with them, always gloopy and barely any filling - so this was motivation to make a homemade version of my own and they were so much superior in every aspect.
    Please do give them a try and I do hope you enjoy them.

    Thank you Sarah.
    I'm so happy your likin the cabbage recipes.

    Thank you so much Neesie Natters.
    Your comment means a lot ;)

  10. Thank you Wanda Lee.
    I am so pleased that you are loving these for Happy Tuesday tea day.

  11. That filling sounds gorgeous and I LOVE your little umberella decoration, I must think more 'out of the box' when I decorate my pies and move away from the leaves!!

    Another recipe that I'm printing off for my collection, thank you.

    Sue xx

  12. Thank you so much Sue.
    Nothing wrong with leaves, it is very autumnal now.

  13. This sounds delicious and I love the umbrellas. I really would love to see your cookie cutter drawer! x

  14. Kath,
    I just read your comment out loud to my husband and he started laughing - cookie cutter drawer, more like cookie cutter box!
    Yes, I promise i will someday.

  15. Yeah, we're already into this kind of food and it's only september! Luckily or unluckily we won't be having time to get around to this as we leave for south India in 10 days now, but will keep it bookmarked for our return in Feb - sure England will oblige us with enough rainy days to take our pick for making this..

  16. Thanks Adam and Theresa.
    Your right England will oblige you with many rainy days on your return, for now though enjoy your time in Southern India. Safe journey.

  17. This looks so cute! I've never heard of cabbage pie, sounds wonderful!

  18. Thank you Malay-Kadazan girl.

    Thanks Maria.
    Perhaps because its very British :0)

  19. Rainy day creamy cabbage pie looks wonderful, we can consume everyday, Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

  20. I love cabbage and I love pie, so this would be perfect! Love your umbrella topper--too funny!

  21. Thank you Swathi.
    Its a pleasure to have been able to share this at Hearth and soul blog hop.

    Thanks Lauren.
    Yesterday when it rained, even the umbrellas could not save you, it was like someone was throwing bucket of water from the skies - that how heavy it was and the umbrellas would have just mangled by the awesome strength of water!

  22. Hey Shaheen. I think I'd like this. I like cabbage pretty well, and I love celery... in fact I've found that eating rice is not complete without a vegetable dish. Just goes to show how one can change, haha. But I still cannot like peas.

  23. Thanks Sumaiyyah.
    I can't believe you don't like peas, they are so harmless - go on, you know what they say 'give peas (peace) a chance - I know its corny but true.

  24. Hehe your reply was so funny I just had to reply. Okay I'll try... maybe they're just one of those things, like people, that need to be given more chances than others...

  25. Sumaiyyah - I'm so glad I've encouraged you.
    You mentions people - yeah we can be horrid creatures, but not everyone is the same, so yes, a second chance is sometimes good - but not always.

  26. those brollies are so cute - and I do admire your way with pastry - you always make it seem so easy and I am sure I would eat this pie whatever the weather

  27. Thank you Johanna.
    It practice really, but I do not consider myself an expert there are times when I mess up with pastry, and i dare not even try puff pastry. But I really do appreciate your comment as its most encouraging.

  28. The umbrella decor on the pie is a brilliant addition!

    Peace :)

  29. Thank you Chandra,
    I just spoke with my husband and he has told me its still raining in Scotland.

  30. A really stunning-looking pie - thank you for entering it into Simple and in Season - a round-up follows today.

  31. Thank you so much Ren. I will be over later for certain.
    Thank you so much for hosting.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You