Tuesday, 4 May 2010

It cabbage pie time!

Dinner this evening was easy, as I had made this pie yesterday afternoon. We enjoyed half of it late yesterday evening and the other half today, it just had to be reheated in the oven.

I made the shortcrust pastry from scratch. I had some scraps left over and suddenly felt the urge to decorate the top. Do you like? Even the pie hole for the steam to escape is strategically places above the letter 'I'. This is the same shortcrust pastry I used for the Swiss chard and black olive quiche last month, its extremely light and crumbly.
This pie was made with the cabbage I picked up at the farmers market at the weekend. The filling has the right amount of sweetness from both the parsnips and the apple. In fact, if I had added another apple you'd have thought you were eating 'apple pie', and that would not been a good sign for something that ought to be savoury.
D adored this pie and after eating it yesterday and today, declared it 'Delicious!'. He doesn't use the word 'delicious' lightly, so it sure was a compliment coming from him.
Cabbage, Parsnip and Apple Pie
Serves 4 -6
For the Shortcrust pastry
Recipe here
Ingredients for the cabbage pie filling
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
30g butter
1 medium onion, finely sliced
350g parsnips, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon plain flour
300ml vegetables stock
1 bay leaf
1 dessert apple, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
180g green cabbage, shredded
1 teaspoon dried sage
Method
Heat the oil in a wide pane. Add the butter and when foaming, add the onion and fry over a low heat until soft and golden brown. Add parsnips to the pan and fry for about 10 minutes until starting to soften. Stir in the flour and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the stock to the pan, along with the bay leaf and season to taste. Bring to a boil, then add the shredded cabbage and sage and cook for 20 minutes or until the veg is tender. Remove the bay leaf and stir in the grated apple. Set aside to cool.
Preheat oven to gas mark 5. Roll out pastry to fit the pie dish. Spoon the cabbage mixture into a pie dish. Brush the rim with water then lay the rolled out pastry over the pie. Cut away the surplus pastry with a knife. Press the edges together and mark a pattern with a fork or crimp with your fingers into a raised border. Shape the remaining pastry trimmings into leaves if you wish. Make a small hole in the pastry lid for the steam to escape. Brush the pastry with milk. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the filling piping hot. Adapted from Leiths Vegetarian Bible.

20 comments:

  1. Hi and thanks for stopping over at my blog.
    Nice to meet you! I LOVE this pie of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness that looks good and I love the lettering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my husband uses the word 'delicious' sparingly too so high praise indeed for this gorgeously crisp looking pie. Now if I could just get G to try parsnips ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This pie is so cute - and looks so tasty! Thanks for your kind comments on your blog - much appreciated. Great blog you have here, some wonderful ideas, I shall be back! Lucie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very delicious looking pie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I come here I smile! and LOOK at that beautiful pie...

    But I have to think "goodness she must have a lot of leftovers...or a lot of friends." I hope it's both! Seems like this meal served you two days so you answered my question :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job, Mango. That's one of the prettiest savory pies I've seen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pie is gorgeous; I love the alphabets you made. My husband would love this. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mangocheeks, you are the queen of cabbage possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pie looks so delicious and I loved the top:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you decorate your pies. Your decorations take "just dinner" to something extra special. I don't know how you have the time, especially to fuss with making your own crust! Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for coming by Jan. It is most appreciated.


    Thanks Kath,
    Well I have these cookie cutters. When the opporutnity presents itself to play with them - I certainly do.


    Thank you Nic.
    MMm we seem to have a lot in common.
    My husband loves parsnips more than I do, so I understand your husbands feelings towards them - Are they really a veg, then why so sweet?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for your lovely comment Lucie.
    Please do come by again.


    Thank you so much Kiran.


    Oh El,
    Such a lovely compliment. Thank you.

    I only have a handful of close friends and I often have lots of leftovers. Sometimes these meals last up to three days! This one lasted two. One the first day we just had it on its own, because i had made it quite late in the evening and neither of us wanted anything too heavy that late :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much Barbara.
    I had to do something to make it stand out from the crowd of cabbage pies.


    Thank you so, so much Rose.
    I do hope your vegan version is appreciated.


    Oh Alessandra,
    What a fantastic compliment. I love it. Its not often I am called a Queen, in fact the last time I was called a Queen was mmmm 10 years ago, maybe longer. Anyway, compliment appreciated and accepted. I will treasure the title while I can.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much Sooz.


    Thanks Rachana.


    Thank you Ginny.
    I somewhat remember you making a similarly decorated pie. Am I right?! Or am I mistaken?!

    I think the lettering enhanced the cabbage pie, as how would my dear readers know what was under the pastry.

    I was able to do a lot of cooking on Monday which was a Bank holiday in the U.K. Believe me if I had just come in from work, I would not be making shortcrust pastry from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds lovely and is beautifully embellished. One question - you mention sage in the instructions - how much do you use?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ruthdigs
    Sincere apologies I don't know how i missed yur question. It was 1 teaspoon dried sage.
    I'll up-date the recipe too. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've balanced between sweet and savory very well which is a fine thing to do. I love to ravage a cabbage and to include it in a pie is just sensational!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You