Monday, 10 May 2010

Asparagus Flecked tart

T'is the asparagus season. Need I say more?!
What I really like about this savoury asparagus tart is the filling. Most egg based fillings are rather plain looking, this one is flecked and flavoured with the asparagus. It is also a surprisingly light dish. This would make a lovely picnic dish too. Next time I may just make it in individual tartlet tins.
Asparagus flecked Tart
See below for link to wholemeal shortcrust pastry recipe. Or make your own.
300g asparagus spears, snapped already of their tough ends
3 egg yolks
150g soured cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil. Blanch the spears for 5 minutes or just until tender. Drain. Cut the asparagus in half, bearing in mind the top tips has to fit neatly into the tin (see photographs above) and set the tips aside.
Chop the remaining asparagus bottoms and put into a food processor. Add the egg yolks, soured cream, seasoning and process until a smooth puree forms. Pour into the pastry case, arrange the reserved tips on top. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until golden on top. Remove from the oven and let cook. When cool, remove from the tin, cut into slices and serve. Adapted from New Kitchen Garden Adam Caplin and Celia Brooks Brown.
The wholemeal shortcrust pastry recipe that I used can be found here.


  1. This looks gorgeous, what a beautiful green colour and asparagus, I love it.

  2. Thank you Kath. Yes the colour has come through.

  3. Wow, this looks amazing! And just when I was looking for a new asparagus recipe!

  4. Ok...
    I'm jealous of all of your fresh asparagus...
    I'm jealous of your"tart making" skills...
    I'm jealous of your cool rolling pin...
    And this looks Delicious! Great job on another recipe!

  5. I'm so psyched that the asparagus is finally here. I just had some in a coconut curry. Your tart looks amazing, especially the pic of the shortcrust.

  6. I wish I lived near you and you could give me cooking lessons! You need to compile your recipes and pictures into a cookbook or something!Everything looks fabulous!

  7. I love asparagus in a tart and it is set off beautifully in the oblong tin.

  8. Olá, hey;
    Óimo e bonito!
    Muito interessate!
    I love asparagus!


  9. Thank you for visiting my blog Mrs Mangocheeks. I'm pleased I made you smile. LURVE this recipe- your pastry looks incredible.

  10. Hello friend!

    Of coure, I read always all of my comments,..that's what we live for,...isn't it?

    Don't be afraid to comment,..comment away!! hahahahaha,...!!!

    This asparagus tarte looks truly beautiful!!!! Stunning even!

  11. Thank you Haymarket.

    Thanks Rachana.

    Once you've made the pastry, the rest of it is pretty straighforward. If you make it, I hope you enjoy.

    Oh Morgan,
    Please, pretty please - don't be jealous.
    Everything comes with time.
    The asparagus is from a grocery store.
    Making tarts take practice, and the pastry even moreso. Its one thing I really don't enjoy doing, until I actually get to eat the pastry - then I remember why it is so worth it.
    And the rolling rolling pin, mmm you haven't seen the one I was given by my mother in law from Turkey.
    I have no doubt you have so many skills that i would envy!!!

    Thank you Monica.
    I don't think I have had asparagus in coconut milk. Thanks for sharing.

  12. Thank you Krys.

    Oh Darlene.
    I wish I lived near you and you could give me crochet and knitting lessons!
    So many bloggers have cookbooks published now on the back of their blog, at the moment I am enjoying the blogging - but I do appreciate the wonderful compliment. Thank you!

    Thank you Margaret and Welcome to my blog.

    Olá, hey; Welcome and Thank you so much Pecados da mesa. I am so delighted that you like!

    Thanks for repaying the compliment Magic Bean.

  13. Hello dear Sophie.
    I'm pleased. When I go to fellow bloggers blogs and see so many comments, I am actually always overwhelmed and think, shall I write my thoughts as I am sure someone has already said what I have wanted to. But it shows, you should not be put off by the number of comments as you are writing to the owner of the blog.
    Kind wishes and i am so happy to read that you like the look of the asparagus tart. My husband LOVES Asparagus!

  14. Those flowers make such a nice garnish, and the apsaragus tart is too much!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You