Monday, 31 May 2010

drinking glykos, eating spanakopittas, olive and tahini pies

Hello dear readers, I am back from my long blog break. I have to admit I have missed blogging both writing and reading, but it was a welcome change to my daily routine. So where was I for two weeks? Can you guess from the title? Greece...

Actually I was in Kato Pathos, Cyprus. Within a few minutes of touching Cypriot soil I was intoxicated by the smell of the delicate citrus blossoms and the sweltering heat of the sun-shine. I am not a beach babe, so this holiday was not spent lying on the beach sun-bathing. It was about spending time with my in-laws and in between exploring some of the rugged landscape, seeing some historical places, listening to the sounds of Cyprus and sampling some local food.
One of the first things that struck me as we drove from the airport to our destination, were these enormous onion shaped terracotta pots that adorned that countryside and many peoples gardens. These large pots are known as Pitharia and were traditionally used to store grain, oil and wine. Nowadays, they are treated as plant pots. I have a number of photographs of my time in Cyprus, some of which I think you will enjoy. I hope to share them with you in the next few days.


  1. Welcome back, looking forward to hearing more.

  2. Look forward to seeing the pictures you took, my son was born in Cyprus.

  3. Wow wow wow! I would love to go to Greece! The food there must have been delicious!

  4. I'm happy to see you safely returned and will enjoy reading about your Cypriot adventures!

  5. Welcome back! You won't believe it but I was thinking of you just today & thought I'd check to see if you were back to blogging action ;-)
    Glad you enjoyed Cyprus!

  6. Can't wait to hear about it. I bet the food was amazing. I'm assuming glykos is a coffee/espresso type drink? Looks delicious.

  7. I would love to visit greese one day, looking forward to more photos!
    Olive and tahini pies? sounds delicious :)


  8. Seems like a great holiday, I look forward to the photos :-)

  9. Yay! Welcome home, Mango. I hope you had a warm and wonderful break. I'm really looking forward to some Greek cooking from you in the coming days. Fran xx

  10. Oh my, I LOVE spanakopittas and making savories with phyllo dough. Sigh of course my present SE Asian location is lacking in Greek food.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. That henna tattoo is awesome right and oh the irony of now having 3 passports (the lost one, emergency one, and the new one that is in progress).

  11. Looks like you had a wonderful trip. Looking forward to more of your lovely photos!

  12. How fun! Looks like a great way to spend 2 weeks. Great pictures :)

  13. Thank you Kath.

    Thanks Ann. What part of Cyprus?

    Lizard - unfortunately I did not get to eat very much of the local cuisine :( Come back later in the week and you'll learn why.

    Thanks Grapefruit. I have missed reading fellow bloggers blogs, so will be over to check soon. Thanks for thinking of me - it means a lot - noone at work seemed to have noticed me missing for 2 weeks :(

    Thank you so much e.
    My husband hates flying, so yes we were both glad to arrive back home safely esp. after so much turbulence on the flight back.

  14. Thanks Wendy.
    Sadly I did not get to eat much of the local cuisine, the food there is very much meat based. Your right glykos is a strong black sweetened with sugar. I drank a few little cups, but its quite strong for me. Come back later in the week and you'll see why.

    Thank you Rose.
    The olive pies were lovely and the tahini pies very interesting. A bit like chelsea buns but dense and without the fruit.

    Thank you Alessandra.

    Thank you so much Fran.
    Yes, I have no doubt I will be making some Greek - Cypriot influences dishes in the next few weeks. And yes, it was so warm there. Too hot for me.

  15. Chic'n Cheap Living.
    Thank you for repaying the compliment and coming by my blog. It so funny or may be not from no passports to 3 passports. Well at least you now have one.

    Thank you so much Janet.

    Thank you so much Green Gal.

  16. nice to have you back - and am glad to hear you sounding refreshed - I just saw your nature photos and they are gorgeous - I hope that you will maybe be inspired with some of your cooking just from the glimpse of some of the food you encountered

  17. Thank you so much for the warm welcome back to blogger world Johanna.
    I certainly am looking forward to have a go, as I did not get to eat much of the local cuisine

  18. Hey girl!!!! You should have stoped by to have a drink with me!!! Of course i live in Athens, but we could go at HYDRA island who is so close and then back again to Donkey's tiny appartment!!!

  19. Hello Donkey with the sweet carrot.
    So kind of you. Iwould never like to impose, but if I was in Greece, I certainly would have contacted you to recommend vegetarian places to eat. Thanks for your generousity and kind offer.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You