Tuesday, 11 May 2010

Wild garlic soup with sparkle flowers

After enjoying the colours of the exotic flowers at the Botanic gardens, D on impulse decided he still wanted to enjoy the sunshine.
So we took a drive, taking the same coastal drive as we did at Easter, but instead of stopping at Helensburgh for an ice-cream, we continued to drive on and paid a relatively quick visit to Glenarn gardens. The parking facilities were quite poor and a coach blocked the pathway, so we had to squeeze past to get inside. This was followed by an even quicker visit to Hillhouse - Charles Rennie Mackintosh house. Charles Rennie Mackintosh was a Scottish architect and designer. He was a designer in the Arts and Crafts movement and also the main exponent of Art Nouveau in the United Kingdom. He had a considerable influence on European design. I’m impressed with the uniqueness of the bold geometric designs that are instantly recognisable as Mackintosh, but sadly the house did not do very much for me.
On our way back, I had seen more wild garlic, this time much of it had flowered and the leaves were thick. Of course, I could have easily picked up a fresh bunch, but I decided not to as I already had some wild garlic soup made at home from my pickings last week. However, I did pick a couple of wild garlic flower heads so that I could garnish my soup. The flower heads proudly standing on a thin green stem reminded me of sparkles children proudly whirl on Bonfire night. It even reminded me of those that sometimes dress up a cocktail drink.
These sparkly flower heads are edible. We had one each. Oh my goodness, it was like eating a clove of garlic, there was flavour: garlic, chive and onion all rolled into one, but also heat like mustard. D was convinced he would have garlic breath, but that was okay, he wasn’t going anywhere now. By the way, for those of you who have been reading about my wild garlic finds. You may like to know that this is my last recipe of the year with wild garlic. I have thoroughly enjoyed eating my share of this wild weed and look forward to it, come next year.

Talking of green, seasonal ingredients, fellow blogger Monica who has lovely little blog called Smarter Fitter, full of innovative and tasty looking recipes of her own; is having a giveaway that may just tempt you. Some of you may remember the Bourguignonne of chestnuts, mushrooms and roasted garlic, Olive and sun dried tomato sausages, and celeriac and horseradish burgers on my blog. Well all these recipes were inspired by Rachel Demuths Green World Cookbook. Monica was recently invited by Rachel Demuth, the owner of Demuths Vegetarian Restaurant in Bath to attend her cookery school Chateau Ventenac in France. Lucky her. So to be in a chance to own your very own copy of this book, please do follow this link. Good luck and please let her know that you heard about it from me. Thanks.


  1. another delicious picture! By the way are the seasonal foods listed applicable to the United States too? I have a feeling this is a dumb question!

  2. Thank you so much for the kind words and the link. I am in such good company here! Thanks especially for all the wild garlic inspiration. It has been a regular in my organic box the last few weeks and I would have no idea what to do with it if it weren't for you. I think I'm going to have to give that soup a try. Though I bet it tastes better when you've picked the garlic yourself. ;-) Thanks again for the link. I'm so flattered to be featured on your blog!

  3. That soup looks just gorgeous - esp with the little blossoms...

  4. I really love the photo of your soup with the flower garnish. looks lovely!

  5. What are you like for finding that wild garlic! I obviously don't keep my eyes open, I haven't seen any. Very jealous, can you see the green tinge to my typing? Lovely garnish to the soup. So pretty :)

  6. Thank you Darlene.
    Its not a dumb question at all. The seasonal foods in the sidebar are just for the U.K (sorry).

    Thank you so, so much for your kind words. The feeling is mutual.
    And it is a pleasure to have your blog featured on mine (see sidebar).

    Thank you Robyn. You can see why I wanted to pick the fresh flower heads - so pretty.

    Thank you so much Maninas.

    I know 'what am I like' I am not evenlooking for wild garlic and there it appears - magically!!! If I knew where in Dundee there was some growing, I assure you I would let you know. Green envy is a good thing - Jealousy not so - so I don't mind you green tinged typing, its done with warmth!

  7. Interesting! a pretty flower, garlic flavor, some heat, minus the garlic breath - sounds too good to be true.

  8. What you found more wild garlic, next year you'll be anticipating the season even more now you know where to find it.

    The soup looks lovely and I'm sure the flowers were as you described I love eating my garlic chive and regular chive flowers too.

  9. Thanks Wendy. I recommend it, they are also known as ransoms.

    I know, as I said to Jacqueline above 'I am not even looking'.

    The soup was lovely and the flowerheads - a real delight. My regular chive buds are still tightly closed, I look forward to eating them soon too :P

  10. I am so jealous of your wild garlic over there. It must taste so good! I LOVE garlic!

  11. Carissa,
    It was a wonderful seasonal ingredient and I have been spoiled for sure.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You