Saturday, 10 September 2011

Savoury Sage 'Frog' Biscuits

Not literally sage-green frogs!

But homemade edible biscuity ones.
With the sage herb thriving in my garden plot, I was encouraged to cook with it a little more than I have done so in the past.  As well as making a 'sage split pea soup', I decided to make some savoury sage biscuits to accompany the soup instead of chunky bread or croutons.  Of course, having a large collection of cookie/biscuit cutters, I was tempted to play with one of them and the froggy one was the first to come to hand.  It made me smile reminding me of a scene from the movie Magnolia when it starts raining frogs and toads literally.  It just seemed appropriate with it typically raining outside here too.   Here's the link to the scene of the frogstorm if you've not seen the movie.
Well these savoury sage biscuits were delicate releasing a lovely light herby aroma when you bit into it.  I've also recently read that they are good for improving the memory.  I am submitting this to I am submitting this recipe to Simona of Briciole for this week’s Weekend Herb Blogging (WHB) #300 . WHB is overseen by Haalo from Cook Almost Anything.
Sage Biscuits
Makes about 12
Ingredients
260g plain flour
1½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
90ml vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten or flax 'eggs'
125ml milk or soy milk
1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
Method
Preheat gas mark 9.
Sift the flour, baking powder and alt and place in a large bowl.  Combine the egg, oil, milk and sage, then make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid.  Combine with a fork, until just mixed (Please note, you may not need to use all the liquid).
Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured board and roll out.  Then cut into rounds or whatever shape you wish with a cookie cutter.
Bake on a non stick baking sheet for 8 - 12 minutes on the top shelf, until the bottoms are browned.  Adapted very slightly from The Tassajara Recipe Book.

26 comments:

  1. I want to find that cutter and make them vegan! So cute!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao Shaheen, long time no hear, and I know your name now!
    Let me know if you see the book somewhere in the UK, I can only see the internet references, but to see it in a bookshop is something different (feel free to take a photo and send it to me :-)

    Or join the blog candy, may win the book!

    Cute frogs, I would love to find those biscuit cutter, frogs are among my favourite animals :-)

    Ciao
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha- what little sweeties! I love the taste of sage too x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This frog biscuits are so cute! It looks like they are lined up on little lily pads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your frogs are AMAZING!! :-) I love the herb sage, and Magnolia is a great movie - what a brilliant combination! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are incredibly cute. I'm so impressed with your cutting them out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are absolutely gorgeous! You've inspired me to get more creative with my baking/un-baking. Next recipe I'm making something that will make me smile like these :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these! They're so cute! And I love sage!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks missmuffcake.
    I hope you find a similar cookie cutter where you are and make them vegan!

    Thanks Alessandra. Its nice to hear from you.

    Thank you so much mother of purl.
    I waqs so surprised at how much I enjoyed the sage in the biscuits
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Sally.
    Sadly not lined up on little lily pads, but sage leaves - did the trick.


    Thank you Astra.
    :-)
    It good to read that you like the movie Magnolia too.


    Thanks Kari.
    I have to admit they were a little fiddly, the legs especially, but well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Claire.
    I'm so pleased I've inspired You to get more creative with you baking - but I'm a bit of a fake really as baking is not my forte :0) Still I try. I hope your baking gets you smiling too :D


    Thank you Elise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a brilliant idea to jazz up a bowl of soup. Love the frog shape! I really enjoy sage too and don't use it nearly often enough. Maybe I should plant some for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are adorable. I am so glad you linked them up with Bizzy. I can't get over them. Thanks for remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Louise.
    Do try and grow some, but i think sage prefers growing in the ground rahter than pots, mine was not happy when it was growing in a pot but thrived in the ground, hence I am cooking more with it.


    Thank you Bizzy B.
    I am so pleased you like. I did originally link them to this blog entry, but the WHB rules do not allow other linkys, hence the reason your blog link is attached to the Sage Soup recipe where the Sage biscuits feature too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable! I am actually a bit envious about your sage: for whatever reason, I don't seem to be able to make sage thrive in my garden. I won't give up, though, because I like sage a lot. Thank you so much for contributing to WHB!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Simona.
    Its always a pleasure to be part of WHB.
    My sage did badly in pots in the first year, early this year i transferred it directly to the earthier part of the ground in my plot and its so happy, that is why I've been cooking with it a lot recently, perhaps you should relocate it - it may help it thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahaha! Too cute!

    http://haymarket8.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. They're too cute! I love the addition of sage--it's one of my favorite herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these biscuits, the frog cutter is my next "must have"!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Vic!


    Thanks Lauren.


    Thank you so much Graziana.
    I hope you find one near by!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I laughed when you said sage improved the memory because you have to find it first - or at least I do - spent a good chunk of time today cleaning out my cupboards in search of my dried sage - my sage in the garden died so I am jealous of yours and just love those bikkies - so cute

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Johanna.
    Yeah thats what Bob Flowerdew claims in one of his gardening books! I've read that dried sage does not have the same affect though, so you do need fresh. I hope you will buy another plant and try again at growing it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the tip Shaheen - I'll put my sage in the border instead.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Though it is highly disconcerting, I would like to tell you that I once woke up in the middle of the night and discovered that a frog was sitting on my forehead. I've never been afraid of frogs but that particular incident has shocked me into screaming whenever I see one now. Frogs should only be in the shape of lifeless, edible things like these biscuits and they should NOT be jumping around on people's head!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Sumaiyyah.
    Waking up to a frog on your forehead is quite frightening. So I understand your warmth towards these edible biccies. PS I saw a frog at my Dad's allotment this week.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You