Tuesday, 6 September 2011

Roasted Cauliflower with Cauliflower Leaves

Not only is this a simple tasty way to eat cauliflower florets, its a frugal recipe too as I remembered to use the cauliflower leaves this time.

Yes, you read right - I've been eating cauliflower leaves.  Like carrot top fronds, cauliflower leaves are edible and are lovely especially cooked as little fritters or pakora style.  A version my mother would make would contain onions, shredded spinach, cauliflower leaves and spices - yum.  I've neglected to make her version in favour of the trendy curly kale and wild garlic variations.  If deep fried food does not appeal to you.  You can also throw cauliflower leaves into a stir-fry; or even in a soup.  But this simple recipe shouldn't disappoint too much as its a tad healthier that deep frying.
Here, I simply baked the cauliflower florets in the oven drizzled with a little golden rapeseed oil and seasoning.  When it was nearly ready, I blanched the cauliflower leaves in salted water and stirred them into the baked cauliflower florets - tasty.  I have to say I prefer the flavour of the cauliflower leaves much more than I do the cauliflower curd itself. 
We had so much of the 'Potato Gratin' left over, so that is what I decided to serve the roasted cauliflower florets and blanched leaves with - now that made it not so healthy, but tasty indeed.
Go on 'Tuck in! - You know you want to'

6 comments:

  1. I've never eaten cauliflower leaves, I'll have to give them a try next time I buy a cauliflower (not that that happens very often!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always composted the cauliflower leaves. I'm excited to learn that you can eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never heard of eating the leaves! i'm so stoked now that i don't have to toss them into the compost!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea cauliflower leaves could be eaten! Thanks for the serving suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly had no idea that cauliflower leave were edible -Well thinking about it they probably are, but i didn't know they tasted good too! I hate waste, so thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You