Friday, 23 September 2011

Polenta 'Doughnut' with Puy Lentil Cabbage

Ah the polenta 'doughnut'... I have used it as a cunning ploy to grab your culinary attention!  Ha ha.

Other than cutting it in a circle and then a hole in the middle, its really just pan-fried firm polenta.
What really matters here is the way I have cooked the cabbage with puy lentils.  Its simple, but its a really good accompaniment.  I should know as I've featured its at least twice on my blog, see here and here.
Puy Lentil Cabbage
Serves 2 (can easily be doubled)
60g puy lentils
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ Savoy cabbage or other green cabbage, core removed, shredded or sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
Cook the lentils in water until tender. Drain and set aside.
Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the garlic and fry for a few seconds, then add in the cabbage and season to taste. Put the lid on and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the cabbage is tender. Then stir in the puy lentils.
Keep the heat low to keep warm and make the pan fried polenta. Serve as soon as the polenta is ready.  Its equally good with potatoes, or stirred into some plain white rice.


  1. I love lentils - and I'm always looking for a new way to eat them. Thanks for the recipe!

  2. I like how your little polenta donut looks like a pineapple ring :)

  3. Thank you Jesse.


    Thanks Carissa.
    Your so right :)

  4. Looks like a pineapple ring ... which definitely would not complement the cabbage. I can never get a good sear on polenta in the pan. I will try again with this recipe.

  5. Rufus the cat - can assure you that its def. polenta and not pineapple and it was not too bad.

  6. you sneaky mistress!! that being said, i'm making this on the weekend ;) XO!

  7. I know :P
    Thanks Kristy - I do hope you like it.

  8. hey!! I really appreciate your comment on my blog! Thanks so much for stopping by and hope you continue to see my posts!
    your recipes look awesome!

  9. Thank you pureglow.
    Thanks for repaying the compliment. I will surely continue.

  10. I love lentils! Such a great student food. This is definitely a recipe to try for my next lentil dinner!

  11. Thanks Hazel.
    I hope your keeping well.

  12. I've decided that you are a culinary genius. And your photographs have convinced me that my next trip should be to Wales. Wow on all counts missy.

  13. I have just caught up with this post. I hope your mum is OK and all is well. Sending you hugs. Kath x

  14. Hello e,
    I hope your well, its good to hear from you.
    You make me blush with your comment :) I'm no culinary genius, just a girl who likes to cook and eat! The food photography is shared with my husband, so i will pass on the compliments. Wales is very pretty, totally recommend it. I hope to explore more it it when I finally get to move down.

    Thank you Kath,
    your warm wish is most appreciated.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You