Sunday, 18 September 2011

Smoky Yellow Split Pea Soup

Although this soup has similar ingredients to the Yellow Split Pea and Sage soup, let me assure you the flavours in this creamy golden soup flecked with many colours is very different.  It has smoky undertones from the chipotle chilli and a sweet-caramel soft garlic hit from the oven roasted garlic bulb.  The sage is subtle in the soup, that's why I decided to fry some for the top as crispy crouton bits.  I have to say, its perhaps one of the best flavoured soups I've made in a long time.
This is my first ever submission to Deb of  Kahakai Kitchen for this week’s Souper (Soup, Salad and Sammies) Sundays, with the weather turning autumnal and even wintry in Scotland, I know there will be many more souper Sundays to come.
This recipe can easily be doubled.
Smoky Yellow Split Pea Soup with Sage
Serves 4
Ingredients
235g yellow split peas, soaked overnight
2 pints vegetable stock
1 large onion, sliced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 carrot, grated
2 celery sticks, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 dried chipotle, re hydrated in hot water and minced
10g fresh sage, minced
1 whole garlic bulb, roasted
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: fried sage leaves for garnish
Method
Drain the peas and rinse in cold water. Heat the oil in a large pan and sauté the onion until soft. Add half the sage, salt, carrots, celery, crushed garlic and chipotle. Stir and sauté for 10 minutes, then add in the split peas and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the peas are soft and falling apart.
Squeeze the flesh from the roasted garlic bulbs* and add it to the soup pot with the remaining sage, season to taste with salt and pepper. Blend half the soup and return to the pot for reheating. If it is too thick, feel free to add more vegetable stock. *I kept some of the roasted garlic back for garnish. Adapted from Rebar.

14 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear you loved this! I actually have the green split peas soaking right now to make it, even before I saw your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the flavors in this soup, and the crispy sage is just the icing on the cake (or topping of the soup I guess). ;-) It looks delicious.

    Thanks for joining in Souper Sundays this week--hope to have you back again soon. ;-)

    Aloha,

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a yummy and healthy looks ..looks very good

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Janet.
    I'm not so keen on green split peas, hence my use of yellow ones. do hope you enjoy this as much as I did :)


    Thank you Deb.
    Esp. for the warm welcome.
    I will def. be taking part next week, as I already have another soup in mind, and the weather here has surely turned nippy ;-)


    Thank you Priti.
    It really was yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a wonderful combination of flavors and just the sort of soup I am craving now that the weather is cooler.

    By the way, I made your Soba Noodles with Soy-Ginger Sweet Potatoes last week (and included a picture of it in my blog), and it was great.

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss Rachel,
    If you get the chance, please do make this -its super duper.

    Glad to read that you enjoyed the soba noodles. I'm coming on right over to check out your plate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm your soup sounds delicious too, and so different from anything I've ever tried! Just from a quick glance around your blog I already see so many interesting recipes to look at, I'll have to stay a while to get through them all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Natalie.
    It really was delicious.
    Please do stick around as long as you wish, you are most welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo yummy! Our grocery store has started stocking a good variety of dried peppers--I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shaheen, I loved the soup! I ended up using yellow split peas, too, because I know I like those and didn't want to waste all the other ingredients... My green peas are simmering right now for a different soup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds terrific tasting and I'm looking forward to giving this soup a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was actually thinking about some pea soup today, though I probably would not make it until December...It is still hot here. Yu are fortunate to have a change of season.

    Have a happy week, Shaheen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lauren - I must say your grocery store sounds fab to me. I do hope you give these a try.


    Oh Jane - I am so pleased. I'll come on over later in the week to check out your vairiation. Funny that you ended up using yellow split peas, too. Lookign forward to seeing what you do with the simmering green peas too :)


    Thanks Claudia.
    I do hope you give it a whirl.


    Thanks e.
    I'm so jealous of your warmer weather, other than one week in the sumemr - its been rainy here all year. Yeah the autumn is here, my fave season but it came accompanied with the grizzly rain, still nice to see the coour of the leaves changing.
    Thank you so much for 'the happy week' - means a lot as it didin't start so well yesterday :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so good! We've been loving adding the smoky flavour to everything, so this looks like a must-try.

    Also, thank you for your comment on my blog. The acts are actually for an annual Australian festival, and it's a fairly randomly curated event. They are saying it's going to have some acts that played at Reading this year though. PJ Harvey is wonderful, I'm so glad she got the Mercury!

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You