Monday, 11 January 2010

Do Nut Be (me)an Aubergine

Sorry, I know the title is bad, really bad in fact - but you'll understand why and perhaps forgive me.

This dish actually began as a nut and bean roast. It has flavour, texture and bite, so a small, but fair portion would be plentiful. Well I had made enough to feed a kabbadi team, except there was only D and me, so I had to think of other ways to use this 'nut and bean roast' recipe and that is when I realised how versatile it was.

Once you have made the mixture, you could wrap the cooked mixture in puff pastry and cook until golden like the Mushroom en Croûte. For more flavour and moistness, you could even top each with cranberry sauce; caramelized onions or a goats cheese before covering in puff pastry.
Or you can make these delightful stuffed aubergines ….
Serves two.
1 large aubergine, cut in half. Scoop the flesh out carefully like a boat, trying not to damage the aubergine skins as it will be holding the filling. Put aside. Now chop the aubergine flesh. In a large pan, heat two tablespoons of olive oil, add the minced aubergine pieces and cook until they become soft, then add two servings of the nuts and bean loaf (recipe below), and stir it thoroughly for a few minutes. Turn off and allow to cool, before evenly distributing the filling into the two aubergine halves. Put on a tray that is lightly coated with olive oil and bake for 30 - 40 minutes on gas mark 4 until the Aubergine skins have softened. Feta cheese optional. Serve with warm home-made tomato sauce or a dollop of soured cream.
If you keep this as a plain nut and bean roast, I would recommend serving it with some mushroom gravy or a good brand, as it is a tad on the dry side.
A2K versatile Nut and Bean Roast
Makes 1 loaf/Serves 6 – 8
Ingredients
225g mung beans
1 bay leaf
1 large onion, finely chopped
220g ground Brazil nuts or mixed nuts
50g sunflower seeds
1 tablespoons of thyme
2 tablespoons of parsley
100g fresh wholemeal breadcrumb
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Soak the beans for a couple of hours. Then cook the beans in plenty of water with the bay leaf and onion for 40 minutes or so until they are soft. Drain them. Remove bay leaf. Mash the beans with the onion. Then mix all the nuts, breadcrumbs, the herbs and seasoning. Spoon the mixture into a baking tine until well compact. Smooth the surface. Heat the oven to Gas mark 6. Bake for 45 minutes if in a loaf tin or less if in a flan dish.

16 comments:

  1. I love the idea of cranberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog. Interesting, we are both striving for the same goal on either side of the Atlantic. I am very interested in that building pictured at the top of your blog. Is that greenhouse, henhouse, etc?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a vegetarian but I am fascinated at the amount of time and trouble you go to, to prepare such varied and tasty dishes.I don't think I could summon the inspiration to do it every day!!Black pudding is a staple in 'fry ups' here too, but I prefer white pudding not sure of the ingredients. I loved black until I found out how it was made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds good. I made a bean loaf a few months ago and it, too, was a bit on the dry side but tasty. I'll have to give this one a try, I like the idea of the nuts in it.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm to that and to the puff pastry idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. roasts are as versatile as any mince - I love the tomato hearts and feta with the aubergines - look like a delicious way to eat it

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds interesting. Certainly worth the effort. Pic looks good.

    Chitchat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for coming by Tamra.
    The building is quirky. I actually interited it. Its a greenhouse made from recyced window panels. Unfortunately, I no longer have that plot, as I couldn't manage two, I gave it up only in October, which reminds me I need to change the header at some point.


    Thank you so much for your compliment Peggy. Oh even I can't summon up the energy to cook everyday, a lot of what i cook is made over the weekend, as its not always suitable to come in straigt from work and start cooking from scratch, and there are days when we do 'order' in a pizza, but that is quite rare. And I can hand on heart say take-outs are even rare, they only enter the flat when we have Ds parents over.

    I've never heard of 'white pudding', is it similar to black pudding?


    Welcome Judy and Thank you so much for your comment. This one is dry too, hence why I used it with the aubergine.


    Thanks Jacqueline.
    I just wanted to show that the humble bean and nut loaf can be versatile :D Hope baby Connor is not keeping you up all night!


    Thanks Johanna.
    I liked them too, though D raised his eyebrows at them.


    Thanks Ms Chitchat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the aubergine option looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. is it my imagination or are your tomato sauce dollops hearts? Little touches like that make all the difference to lovingly created food.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, its not your eyes Nic - they are 'hearts'. Sorry sometimes the creative me just wants to play, my father wouldn't approve at all. He would often tell us off (me and my siblings) for playing with our food.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your stuffed aubergine looks and sounds delightful! I love the idea of nut and bean roast, sounds very interesting. I can't wait to try this great recipe and play around with it. I can serve it as a side dish and what a fantastic idea for puff pastry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aubergines are out of season, so I felt a little guilty cooking with it, but these were good.

    That is one thing I like about this recipe, its versatility.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    Your nut and bean roast looks delicious! I'm definately going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Sooz,
    Thank you so much for repaying the compliment and coming by.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You