Saturday, 2 January 2010

A2K Blogiversary

Today my blog A2K turns one year old. I have been fortunate enough to be able to write almost every day last year. Initially I set up the blog primarily to keep a record of the vegetables I grew at my plot and my culinary adventures, but months later when the comments started to come from all over the world, I was really overwhelmed. So first of all, I really want to sincerely say Thank you to you all, especially my readers, followers and those of you who come by and have taken the time to comment - Thank you so much for making this blog a personal achievement for me.
I have never really been one to celebrate or mark occasions. However, I have thought about how to mark my Blogiversary for awhile. I have noted how fellow bloggers review and reflect on their past year(s). I have noted how those celebrating normally choose to give a gift away to fellow bloggers. Bucking this trend I have decided not to, at least, not yet (until I can think of a suitable theme!). Instead I have chosen to continue in the same spirit that took me when I begun my blog, by sharing with you some more of my most thumbed cookbooks which have inspired me over the years (and this past year). Alongside the cookbooks, I will also share five books that are related to growing vegetables either in a garden, plot or pots. I hope that is okay.

Vegetarian and Vegan Cookbooks
#2 Pure Vegetarian by Paul Gayler
#3 Leith's Vegetarian Bible by Polly Tyrer
#4 Veg by Catherine Mason
#5 Cranks Bible by Nadine Abensur
#6 The Cafe Paradiso Cookbook by Denis Cotter
#7 Country Seasons Cookbook by Gail Duff
#8 Neither Fish Nor Fowl by Sarah Beattie
#9 Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison
#10 Vegan with A Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz

Growing Vegetable books
#3 Fork to Fork by Monty and Sarah Don
#4 Organic Gardening by Geoff Hamilton
#5 Christopher Lloyd Gardener Cook

Please note these Cookbooks are not in order of preference.


  1. Happy Blogiversary mangocheeks, and Happy New Year. Thank You for doing your blog, I never was a person that was big in eating vegetarian foods. However, from ready your blog, you are turning my mind and I am happy to eat something without any meat on the plate. Keep it up, I love your blog!

  2. Congratulations and thank you for the recommendations - many are new to me!

  3. Happy Anniversary! I've really enjoyed your blog over the last year.

  4. I originally only started my blog to be able to comment on other people's! But then I started to really enjoy it. Looking forward to a new year of blog reading and writing. We stayed at home too, much to cold out there!!!

  5. Congrats to you and your wonderful blog!

    Hugs and Enjoy!

  6. Dear MangoCheeks: Congratulations on successfully sharing your yummy blog. Although I have only visited you a few times now, I can appreciate your kindness to share you gardening experiences with your dear readers.
    I too have only been blogging for alittle over a year. I did not do anything about it, other than thank the people who read my blog and reply with such wonderful insights and humor. The next post I create will be my 200th one, and I am thinking about a giveaway for the fun of it. I want to add more fun into my life, and I love to share and give things to people (other than myself).
    So...Best Wishes for a lovely New Year. I do so enjoy visiting with you!

  7. I just found your blog. I really like it.

  8. Happy Blogiversary Mangocheeks, I enjoy reading you blog so much and am anxious to see more of your recipes and I hope to find the time to try a few out! I wish you a healthy and happy new year

  9. Happy Blogiversary! Thanks so much for sharing all your tried and true cookbooks. I love Deborah Madison especially. My sister is thinking of buying acreage here in the states to grow...of all things...just garlic. Many types from many places. Any suggestions?
    maggie's garden
    Thank you once again for your response to finding vegan marshmallows...I've passed along the info to my daughter.

  10. Well congratulations on your year of blogging! Its always lovely to stop by and see your delicious fresh veggies and interesting recipes.
    I havent heard of any of those books except for Vegan with A Vengeance which ive been meaning to buy for a while now. They have taught you well :)


  11. wow MC what a prolific year. I happened across your blog in July I think and thought you'd been blogging for years! How glad I was to have found you then and your posts continue to be a source of delight and inspiration.
    May 2010 bring you all you hope for, love Nic x

  12. Congrates on you anniversary, I found your blog last summer I believe and read it from beginning to end on the first day I found it. I was hooked line and sinker, long may it continue.

  13. Congratulations on your first anniversary. Isn't the world of blogging amazing? We make connections with people across the world and are inspired to share our hopes and dreams.

    Thank you for visiting and Happy New Year.


  14. Congratulations! Ever since I started reading your blog a few months ago I have been constantly impressed both by the range of produce you grow and by your rate of posting! All the best for 2010!

  15. Thank you James.
    I have tried not to make this specifically a vegetarian blog, but one that focuses on fresh fruit and vegetables based dishes that we can enjoy. Many of the vegetable based dishes can be stand alone, or served with an accompaniment. Your comment really does mean a lot, I appreciate it. Thank you.

    Thank you so much Kate, Michele, Ann, Pam and Ribbit.

    Thank you so much for your comment Purple Flowers. Your blog is also new to me which I have really been enjoying. I look forward to reading your 200th post.

    Thank you for coming by Two Vegan Boys - its so nice to meet with you.

    Thank you so much Fred and HP.

    Hi Maggies Garden.
    You are so welcome re the vegan marshmallow recipe.

    I have not got round to planting any garlic this year, but fingers crossed I may acquire some from a fellow plotholder, who in the past has given me a tray full.
    If you look at Barbara lovely blog called Dish'n'that (in my sidebar), she planted a variety of different garlics. I am sure this will inspire you.
    The only one I would avoid would be Elephant garlic, its huge, but pretty flavourless, but that my opnion.

    Thank you so much Rose.
    The cookbooks have helped, but I must really Thank my mother for teaching me from a very young age, esp when I was resistant to becoming anyones domestic goddess!

    Some of the cooking skills, techniques and dishes obviously sank in which I re-discovered and appreciated in my student days. I haven't stopped since.

    Thank you Nic :D

    Thank you Kella.

    Thank you so much for coming by Marie.

    Thank you TheFastestIndian.
    The rate of posting won't last forever, so I am enjoying it while i can.

    Thank you Michal.

  16. Well done for being such a prolific and interesting poster - I really enjoy your blog and am so glad I stumbled across it. It's always good to come across other vegetarians with imaginative and interesting recipes. I only have another month to go and I will have been blogging for a year too - can't believe it.

    Have you got / looked at Gaia's Kitchen by Julia Ponsonby - well worth a look, it's one of my most thumbed.

    CT is glad to see the HDRA book on your list as he was one of the contributors.

  17. i find blogging is sort of a labour of love, and the years go by so quickly... happy blogoversary!

  18. happy blogiversary mangocheeks - you have such a lovely blog here and so many recipes I want to try as well as so much inspiration with your allotment and seasonal cooking - so thank you!

    Love seeing your cookbook list. I have denis cotters wild garlic gooseberries and me cookbook so would love to get a copy of the cafe paradiso, I looove rose elliot but find I don't use my vegan with a vengeance - perhaps because it gets lost in a pile I must dig into soon

  19. Thank you so much Choclette.
    I'm enjoying it while it lasts...

    Yes, I do have Gaia's Kitchen. I've bookmarked a few of the recipes, but so far have only made a couple of recipes from it inc. the tomato sauce.

    I'm looking forward to celebrating you Blogiversary.

    You shouldn't have told me that CT contibuted to the HDRA book, now i'll be on your back to nag him for growing advice :D

    Thank you so, so much Johanna.
    Your comment really means a lot - so thank you!

    I have Denis Cotters 'Wild garlic, gooseberries and me'. D got it for me in 2007 for my Birthday. I would really recommend 'The Cafe Paradiso'. Instead of asking E for a box of cho on Valentines day, ask for this book - you never know...

  20. Happy 1st Blogiversary, Mangocheek! Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful blog which is full of great tips, recipes, photos and especially INSPIRATION! Also thanks for sharing such an interesting list of cookbooks and growing vegetable books. The only book I have is vegetarian cooking for everyone, I guess I need to go check it out at the bookstore very soon:)

  21. Thank you Pia K.

    Thanks Oraphan.

  22. Thank you Nicisme.
    My blogs only one year old, but I'll take it as a compliment being two!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You