Monday, 18 January 2010

Mushroom and Tofu Marsala

I don’t recall ever having had Marsala wine before and I certainly have never had the classic Italian dish Marsala Chicken either. So to cook with it and make a vegetarian version of this dish was all going to be a new culinary experience for me. Marsala is a rich, fortified wine from Sicily. As one who has experience of drinking a variety of wines, spirits and beers, D forewarned me that Marsala had its own unique flavour, and not one that could easily be substituted with another fortified wine. So, if the recipe had recommended Marsala that is what I should use or not make the dish at all. I took his word. So on Friday, during my lunch hour I tentatively walked over the sheets of ice and 'dandruff' snow to the nearest supermarket, and bought a bottle of Marsala. It cost almost £8.00, blimey.

So was it worth it? It so was. I made this Mushroom and tofu Marsala yesterday. The sauce was so flavourful and in its short cooking time the Marsala had even infused the tofu well. I would go as far as to describe this as Restaurant food, in which case how much should I charge D?
I served this with crusty bread and pickled green beans. The book also recommends serving it with a winter salad and sour cream dressing.

Now I am thinking what other vegetable based recipes I can make with the remaining Marsala. Any ideas would be welcome.
Mushroom and Tofu MarsalaServes 4
Ingredients
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 red pointed peppers or I large red pepper, chopped
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups of Marsala wine
250g firm tofu, cut into even size cubes
Chestnut mushrooms, sliced
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
A handful of chopped fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
In a pot on medium heat, cook the garlic in the oil until it begins to sizzle and then add the peppers, oregano and salt. Cook stirring often. After about 5 minutes, add the Marsala and the tofu and cook on high heat for another five minutes to reduce the wine a bit. Add the mushrooms and tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Add the basil and seasoning to taste. Heat through before serving with plenty of crusty bread to soak up the flavourful broth. Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers
For those of you who don't know, I accepted a 'Pay it Forward' gift from Ribbit of The Corner Yard with a promise to 'pay it forward' to another lucky recipient. So if you would like to receive a little something from mangocheeks, check out this link and leave a comment by Sunday. I will announce the recipients name the following day.

15 comments:

  1. I've never tried marsala wine. Your dish looks delicious, I love mushrooms, and I bet the crusty bread went down very well with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful yummie food, thank you for sharing recepies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jo.
    This dish was lovely, but you wouldn't want too much of it as it is quite sweet with the wine. I think the crusty bread was a good choice to mop up all the juices.


    Hey Long time no see Kontrazt.
    Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great - and it sounds very rich with all that wine! I do love mushrooms :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rachel.
    It was rich, a nice change though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so beautiful. I'd never have thought about using marsala with vegetables, but this I shall be trying for sure. Luckily, I have half a bottle of marsala, which goes really well with rich cake for a posh tea. I've used it in chocolate cake too, but no ideas for veg recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Choclette. I hope you and CT like it as much as we did.

    Thanks for the tip of Marsala going with a rich cake. If I don't find another veg recipe to try, this is one way it will sure go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous colourful tasty dish!!

    MMMMMMMMM,...lovely food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds very rich pardon the pun :) Its nice to hear of another recipe to try with tofu, not sure how I'll swing the £8.oo price tag for the wine or a recipe though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like a lovely clean and fresh dish, if you know what I mean! I would really like to dig in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks absolutely delicious! I'm a big fan of tofu and mushroom, what a great combination! I've never tried Marsala wine before, it sounds great to me because I love sweet flavour, Mmmm!!! Thanks for the link to the picked green beans recipe, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi :)

    I've read back a bit and everything you make looks delicious! I'm going to borrow so many recipes from you! It's just what I needed as well because I've been stuck in a bit of a food rut lately and just keep cooking the same things over and over again. I love your focus on seasonal food too and I'm so jealous that you can grow your own too, I'm not allowed to dig up our garden, but I will when I move out!

    I'll be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much Sophie. The pepper makes it colourful, I admit.

    Kella,
    I agree the Marsala price tag is a bit off-utting, (I won't be buying it regular either) but it Maybe one to consider for yourself and your husband one evening!


    Jacqueline, there is something clean and fresh about the taste. I agree.


    Thanks Oraphan.
    The pickled green beans have been a nice surprise. I wasn't sure what to expect when I pickled them. I will be doing it again this year.


    Oh Sooz,
    It is such a pleasure to have you over. Welcome and Thank you so much for your lovely comment.

    Please don't compliment me to loudly on the use of seasonal veg. This month I have been a tad naughty, take this dish for example. I have used a pointed red pepper. Naughty but it tasted really good.

    I hope one-day you get a little patch of your own, I am sure that day is not too far away.
    Warm wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mangocheeks now how did you know I was planning to use the guise of a romantic meal for two as the reason for splashing out on the wine for cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kella,
    I wish you could see te smile on my dimply cheeks.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You