Saturday, 23 January 2010

Brussels Sprouts Gratinée

Remember those Brussels sprouts I picked from the plot last Sunday, well this is what I did with all 450g of them.
I made Brussels Sprouts Gratinée.
I have never eaten so many Brussels sprouts in my life. These were not bitter at all. I especially loved the crunch of the breadcrumbs on top.
Brussels Sprouts Gratinée
Serves 4
450g Brussels sprouts, cooked until tender
350g new potatoes (I used Sofia, that were grown in Britain), cooked until tender and halved
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon paprika
a generous pinch of cayenne
300ml crème fraiche
40g melted butter
50g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to gas mark 5. Pour the crème fraiche into an ovenproof dish. Stir in the paprika, cayenne and season with salt and pepper. Tip in both the sprouts and the potatoes and mix well so that the vegetables are well coated.
Mix the breadcrumbs with the melted butter. Spread evenly on top of the potato and sprouts mixture. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 - 30 minutes and the crumbs are crisp and golden.


  1. I would have definitely made this if my sprouts had amounted to anything. Unfortunately, after a visit to the allotment today, my sprouts have been composted as they were rubbish. I love sprouts and this dish looks delish.

  2. Thanks Jo.
    I am sorry to read about your sprouts going to the compost bin. Although I have my own sprouts, and no doubt will harvest some more tomorrow, I must admit I am a little disappointed with mine, they have been very tiny. I need to prepare the brassica bed better this year.

  3. That does look tasty, I am not a lover of sprouts and neither I my family but I did grow two plants this year (a red variety) which were so badly affected by wooly aphid that the poor plants were stunted at about 8" high, so I never did get to try if homegrown sprouts would have won me over, I'll try again this year though.

  4. mmm, yum, a new way to get husband to eat brussels!

  5. brussel sprouts and potatoes in a gratinee sounds delicious - just the thing to ward off the winter chill

  6. Good way to give the bs to the kids :-)!!!

  7. Hey there,

    I sove Brussels sprouts & this is another grand way to use them!!

    Very tasty!!

  8. Sorry to read about your sprout plants Kella.
    I had most of my Brassica plants covered with netting, until of course they got to a certain size. Its good to read that you haven't given up on them. The flavour is completely different from shop bought ones. Definately less smelly when cooking, and less bitter. As you may know, I have not been that successful with growing my own, as they are always tiny, but i think I know where I may be going wrong. I am tempted to try a variety this year.

    I have found a few other recipes for sprouts that I am looking forward to trying and sharing.

    Thanks Johanna.
    It certainly a dish for chilly weather.

    Thanks Alessanda.
    I'd agree with you, but the paprika may be a bit strong for some little ones, unless of course these kids have been raised to eat spices, in which case I think they would love this dish.

    Thanks Nic.

    Thank you Sophie,
    This is certainly an interesting way to eat sprouts. One I will sure make again.

  9. This recipe is different, quick and yummy. Do visit my blog when time permits.

  10. Thank you Shanti.
    I will come by.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You