Wednesday, 20 January 2010

Don’t mess with da' muffin

A few days ago there was a BBC Scotland documentary on the Buckfast. Surprisingly that evening and the following day, I got a number of hits on my blog entry for Buckfast cheesecake. Those of you living in the U.K and more specifically Scotland, will have heard or read of this drinks alleged association to crime among adolescents.

I’ve already written a bit about my thinking on the alcoholic drink, so don’t want to do so again, but I would like to add one thing. I think it is unfair to blame a particular brand of drink, as individuals should take responsibility for their actions and not say ‘ooh Gov it was the drink, without it I am any angel’. Yeah right. I hear that pathetic defence so often, when violent partners attack their partners - it was the drink, when racists verbally or physically attack those who are visibly different from them - it was the drink or when someone stabs someone for supporting the rival football team (this actually happens in Glasgow), it was the drink. The one flaw with this drink and many like it in my opinion is that it is affordable, just like like cider and that is why you see empty bottles of it rolling about on the grounds of parks where children should be playing, or side streets of Glasgow. It makes me so angry when people do not take some responsibility for their actions.
Now onto some baking I did over the weekend, you may remember I made these delicious banana, peanut butter and oat muffins. Well I decided to make them again, but when I went to line the muffin tin with muffins cases, I realised I had none. So I poured the mix into a tray bake and decorated the top with banana slices, thinking it would be alright.

I was so wrong.
Ugh, Baking them this way made them turn out like canteen ‘out of the packet’ cake batter mix. Although they look pretty good, the cut up squares were not nice at all. D eats most things and even he turned his nose up at these baked this way.
They did not go to waste though, and no I didn’t fob them off onto work colleagues. Much worse than that, depending on your viewpoint, I gave pieces to the birds in the garden, they’re not as fussy as me.

10 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of your muffin diasaster but at least the birds were happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I do have to laud you for posting even your most...interesting of failures, and the social commentary is of course priceless. (I sit here thinking: goodness this poor girl sure cooks a lot but then I realize if I posted about everything I cooked then goodness I would have a lot of posts too!) Thanks for letting us know you're not always successful...regardless of why. Most people just don't even bother to cook at all much less grow their own.

    But: did you raid Matron's banana tree? Great seasonal jealousy if you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just going to say that they look scrummy. I don't mean this in a bad way but it's nice to know that you make mistakes sometimes too. It makes the rest of us feel better about our own disasters. Glad to hear that they didn't go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear the birdies going 'Tweet tweet' Kella.

    Thanks El.
    I think it is only right to put on your mishaps now and again. In fact my husband often says to me, that i should put a photograph of the mess I make in the kitchen and the pile up of all the dishes, that he (often) has to wash up. We forgoet with lovely recipes, comes dirty pots and pans too.

    Thank you so much for your lovely comment.

    And to your last question, unfortunately not - I don't think Matron would have minded if I Had, or maybe she would have if these were the disastrous I had produced using her cherished bananas.

    Hi Jo,
    I know they they look pretty good, but looks can be deceptive.

    I wish you could hear me laughing, and honestly I did not take your comment in a bad way at all. I totally know where you are coming from.

    Warm wishes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aghhh Buckie - we've heard it's a great favourite in Scotland. We're local, but have not yet tried it - perhaps it would help CT's recovery and get rid of his cough!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a shame - I made these muffins and they were delicious - I always think muffins and cakes can be made with the same mix but you have made me rethink this theory

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Choclette
    I have read that it has a cough syrupy texture, so perhaps would help CTs cold, should you come across some.


    I know Johanna.
    I thought the same too, but not the case. I think muffin recipes are such that they need to be made in indivual cases, not as one large bake. It certainly did not work in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe this happened to you, at least you made the birds happy. I just threw away most of my eggless muffins I made with rice flour and avocado the other day (trying to be gluten-free), my hubby refused to eat it after the first bite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Oraphan,
    I am an experimental home-cook, things can easily go wrong. But thanks for the faith in me.
    :D

    Eggless avocado muffins sound intriguing, maybe your second attempt will be successful. I look foward to seeing them on your blog in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Choclette,
    I forgot to add. What do you mean 'local'?
    Are you local in the sense of
    1. Your Scottish
    2. Your in Scotland
    :D

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You