Thursday, 28 January 2010

Vegetarian Haggis Pakora Bites

Call them haggis popcorn, call them haggis morsels, call them haggis balls, even haggis bon bons - one thing for certain though, they are definitely bite sized.

I made these with the left over vegetarian haggis and pakora batter from my belated Burns Supper celebrations. Tasty they were too.
My regular readers will note that I have a new blog header too. I was going to post this on my 500th blog post, which is about a fortnight away, but as you can appreciate circumstances have changed a little. I won't be changing the name of my blog though, I am accustomed to it. Also I will still be growing some of my own soft fruit and vegetables, albeit from my tiny garden plot.

Once again, may I take this opportunity to Thank you all for your kind words of support at this time. It really is most appreciated.


  1. Ooo, loving the new header, very eye-catching.

  2. I like the new header, it shows you cannot keep a good woman down! I am glad you have picked yourself up and dusted yourself off and are going to carry on, business as usual.I will pass on the haggis!

  3. Loving the new header and no don't change the name, as is said we must speak our exsistence into being (or in our cases type/ blog them into being).

  4. I love the new header, very nice! Congrats on 500 posts, that's quite the accomplishment. I agree with you on keeping the name of your blog the same.

    As I toy with the idea of going vegan (have been strictly for 2 weeks now, and now contemplating a full on commitment), I wonder if I should change the name of my blog! What a pain that is..

  5. I am so glad you wil be growing veggies in a plot. A tiny plot is better than no plot. We are fortunate enough to have a huge backyard in our rental home right now. I am going to teach my two little guys gardening. I can't wait to start our Spring garden. In our previous place we rented, the last tennant dumped her cat's litter box remains in the backyard. The cat's feces and urine killed the grass and left the dirt useless for growing anything.

    By the way, I like the new header.

  6. I love your new header, Mango! Very nice and bright. Rainbow chard is such a stunning vegetable.

  7. These also look great! There is just a constant stream of tasty food appearing on your blog Mangocheeks and it always appeals to me. I am so glad you are going to continue producing these tasty recipes, I would have been very sad indeed if you had been to disheartened to continue. And I love the new banner, a fitting statement for the new phase to your blog :)

  8. hello miss mango. are you in scotland yes? would love any recommendations you might have for places to eat in edinburgh and glasgow? I've added you to my reader now so I'll be getting your updates

    xo carla

  9. I'm glad you will still be able to grow some fruit and veg. I went here for the weekend many years ago and it was an eye-opener for using the smallest space to grow-your-own. You may have heard of it as it is in Wales.

  10. The pakora bites look like a wonderful way to use up the leftovers. I'm sure you must still be in shock about your allotment, but after you have given yourselves some time I would have a look round for another site and put your names down for a plot. The waiting lists are so long now that you might be waiting quite a while, so the sooner you do it the better. If you decide at a later date that you don't want to take on another plot you haven't lost anything by doing this, it might just save you some waiting time. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

  11. I like the new header MC. Thanks for the reminder to change my - I do it seasonally and it's still autumn over on my blog!

  12. Thank you Clare.

    Thank you so much Peggy.
    I figured sulking and withdrawing from things that give me joy wasn't an option. So have to find some strength to carry on smiling.
    Maybe next time with the haggis - eh?! a vegetarian one at least.

    Thank you so much Kella. Appreciate you warm thoughts.

    Thank you Sarah.
    Going vegan is a big and commitment and I applaud you for even considering taking that step. I understand your reservations for changing the name of your blog to reflect you diet. Whatever you decide will be right for you.

    Thank you Krys.
    I agree with you 'a tiny plot is better than no plot', so I am Thankful for that space. In my first ever flat I was growing herbs in the window box.
    I look forward to reading about the antics of your little guys in the garden :) Its nice to have growing space and playing space. Enjoy.

    Thank you Barbara.

    Thank you Jacqueline for your honesty, generousity and heartfelt warmth. You have been a great supporter of mine since my blog began :)

  13. Hello Carla,
    Now you are asking.
    To be honest I don't eat out that often. But here are a selection of Vegetarian and Vegan eateries in Glasgow and Edinburgh that you may want to check out. You should be able to find links on the web to most of them.
    Stereo on 20-28 Renfield Lane, Glasgow.
    Mono, King's Court, King's Street Glasgow
    The 13th Note (this is my favourite), 50-60 King Street, Glasgow
    Grassroots Café on St Georges Road, Kelvingrove Unfortunately, it closed down early last year.
    The 78, 10 - 14, Kelvinhaugh Street, Glasgow.
    Teahouse Tchai near Glasgow University.
    Kalpnas, Indian vegetarian restaurant
    Black Bo's,Vegetarian Restaurant
    L'Artichaut, French vegetarian restaurant
    The Baked Potato Shop, Vegetarian and vegan fastfood such as haggis pakoras and haggis samosas on baked potato
    Henderson's Bistro, an famous Edinburgh vegetarian cafe and restaurant.
    Check out my link.
    Johanna of Green Gourmet Giraffe (see my sidebar has some pictures of some of these Edinburgh restaurants, so its well worth checking out here blog too.
    David Bann - Vegetarian Restaurant

  14. Thank you Ann.and thank you for remembering my welsh root. Yes, I am aware of this CAT. I lived in North Wales but never got round to going here. It is on my want to go to places one-day. Thank you for reminding me.

    Thanks Jo,
    Yes I am still a shocked about the plot, it hasn't quite sunk in, so I will be looking for some closure at some point. Thank you so much for the encouragement. I Understand what you mean about the waiting list. I did ring this morning, and every allotment site in the city has waiting list for years.

    I am so glad you like it Nic. It's going to take a while to get used to, its a bit more colourful, don't you think?!

  15. I am also glad that you are still growing veg & fruit in tiny containers!!

    Don't let them win!!

    I think these vegetarian haggis pakora's look stunning, my friend! Now, I want to eat them & it is only breakfast time but they look so good,...

  16. Thank you so much Sophie. For your encouragement and kind comments.

    Thanks for coming by Mel.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You