Wednesday, 6 January 2010

Spicy Parsnip Cakes

When I leave home for work in the morning: its dark and when I get home in the evening its still dark.

So some of my photographs have been reflecting this too, but I can't complain too much. This time last year I didn't even have a good camera for blogging. So my photographs have certainly improved.
I still had some of the filling left over from the 3 Seeds Tartlets, so I decided to use the reliable ready-rolled puff pastry again. This time though I spread the mixture evenly over the pastry layer and then rolled it up like a Swiss roll. Baked in the oven for 25 – 35 minutes until it was golden.
I guess you can even slice them into individual portions and bake them face up, so that they would puff up almost like savoury palmiers. I served these with gravy, some of our homegrown peas that were in the freezer, as well as these little spicy parsnip cakes that I’ve made before. I do think that both Garam masala and cumin enhance the flavour of parsnips.  In fact I'd go as far as saying they make a perfect parsnip-ship and this is certainly a combination I'll be using a lot in the future.
I did modify the original spicy parsnip cake recipe a touch. Instead of boiling and mashing the parsnip, I grated them and then baked them individually in a muffin case, rather than a large cake tin. I think that’s why they are a little more ‘golden’, still spicy though.

15 comments:

  1. Oooh, I adore parsnips!! These sound so scrumptious and perfect for a cold winter night - thank you so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both the swiss rolls and the cakes look most enticing. Not grown any parsnips for some years - really ought to give them a go this year. Our freezer was accidentally turned off whilst we were away at Christmas, so desperately trying to cook and eat runner beans, blackcurrants, pesto and various bits and pieces that I'd made last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your clementine curd looks delicious, and there's nothing nicer than a bean soup, I love it, the beans seem to have so much flavour.

    I haven't used one parsnip so far this winter, must try it other than just boiled or roasted in a recipe as you suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lot of delicious looking recipes! I think I will try the bean soup. Looks so good, especially on these cold winter days.
    I hope I can grow some veggies this year. I used to put parsnips in my stew, but when the girls got older they didn't like them. I think I will try using them again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your welcome Astra.

    Hi Choclette,
    Although grown in Scotland, unfortunately the parsnips are not homegrown. Ihave not had the opportunity to go over the allotment and even if I did, with the snow, I probably would not have been able to dig any up.

    I'm sorry to read about your freezer being turned off and you having to make the most of those frozen ingredients now.


    Thank you Ann.
    I'm not a great fan of parsnips, I find them a little too sweet. So look for differnt ways to enjoy them.


    Welcome Callie and Thank you so much for coming by. I understsnd your girls feelings for parsnips, I was never a fan of them until I found different ways to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos still look tasty! I always find time to take my pictures at night mostly. And even if it's during the day they still look dark. I haven't tried to truly figure out my camera yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your comment Mommy Is Green. It is most appreciated. With me so far its been hit and miss. I'm learning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Parsnips are one of my favourite veg. This looks like a great way to spice them up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey,first time to ur blog space and loved it. You have interesting recipes. Being a veggie myself,loved the concept of growing your own organic veggies. Following u.

    Chitchat
    http://chitchatcrossroads.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Jo.
    Have you ever tried Jane Grigsons curried parsnip soup - absolutely delicious.


    Welcome Ms Chitchat,
    Thank you so much. I will be over to check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love parsnips - specially when partnered with spices.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you James.

    Welcome Sushma and thank you for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love parsnips...unfortunately they are not that popular here in Italy, actually, pretty hard to find. Usually when I come to the UK I make sure I have as much as I can to compensate :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Alice,
    It took me a while to like parsnips, now I don't mind them, but not too much. Maybe you should consider growing some of your own. May be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You