Friday, 1 January 2010

3 Seeds and Root Tartlets

Happy New Year to you all.
I don't know if it is age or just experience, but instead of joining the masses in the snowy cold to welcome the New Year in with noise and fireworks, we decided to stay snug in the warmth of our small flat and celebrate simply together.

On a number of fellow blogger sites I have come across elegantly decorated cakes, 'sweet mince pies' and 'vegetable pies' with stars galore. So in a similar fashion, I decided to made these a little special too, it was New Years eve after all.
The filling is mildly spiced made with carrots, parsnips and seeds: pumpkin, sunflower and sesame. We had these with all our own home-grown potatoes and Brussels sprouts. Really satisfying.
Whoops, in the oven a few minutes too long...but it didn't harm the taste at all.

The original recipe is for a Christmas Roast, but I adapted it a little as I did not have all the ingredients, plus one of the ingredients required: courgettes are out of season, so I replaced them with parsnips. I also made individual tartlets using shop bought puff pastry. I hope Rachel Demuth approves.
3 Seeds and Root Tartlets
Serves 8 - 10
Ingredients
100g green lentils
2 bay leaves
500ml stock made with 1 teaspoon vegetable stock
200g parsnips, peeled and grated
200g carrots, peeled and grated
1 onion, finely sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder
1/2 ginger powder
80g rolled oats
100g Brazil nuts, coarsely chopped
50g pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
50g sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
50g sesame seeds, lightly toasted
2 tablespoons Tamari
1 tablespoon tomato puree
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: Puff pastry
Method
Pre-heat the oven to Gas 4.
Wash the lentils, put them in a small saucepan with the stock and bay leaves. Bring to the boil and simmer until the lentils are tender, drain, remove the bay leaves and set aside.
Fry the onion in the olive oil until soft, add the garlic, spices and fry for 2 minutes. Add the grated vegetables, rolled oats, tomato puree and Tamari and sauté until soft, but still with some bite. Combine the cooked vegetables, lentils, Brazil nuts, two thirds of the toasted seeds. Season well with salt and pepper.
Here you can use the puff pastry as I did as tartlet cases, sprinkle with the remaining seeds and cook for 25 minutes until golden; Or you can simply make this in a loaf tin. In which case you should line the loaf tin with baking parchment paper, sprinkle in the remaining seeds into the tin, then spoon on the mixture. Press down firmly and bake on the middle shelf for 45 minutes or until firm. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out. Serve with gravy.
Adapted from my Christmas present Greens World Cookbook.

16 comments:

  1. These look very tasty and "outside of the box". I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet to hear from you again!
    Happy new year to you too!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you and your lovely family too, Mangocheek!!!

    That sounds so wonderful to stay snug in your home sweet home with your loved one on New Years Eve! Your tartlets look absolutely beautiful and delicious. I would believe it completely if you said you bought them from a famouse bakery shop:)

    Best wishes for a very very happy and healthy 2010! Thank you for sharing such a wonderful blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful!

    By the way, as part of my goals for the coming year, I'm trying to cook and eat more vegetarian fare. Because I'm allergic to yeast and wheat, I have to avoid cheese and wheat pasta. Any suggested recipes?

    (Thanks for coming to visit the Chronicles!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely tartlets!!! And did you know that in Italy it is traditional to eat lentils for New Year's Eve? They are supposed to bring money and good luck ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you HayMarket.

    Thank you Patricia.

    Thanks Kella.

    Thanks Oraphan,
    Unfortunatley my tartlets were 'a little on the charred side' something no reputable would serve :D but I will.


    Hi Jeanne,
    Thank you for your comment. Let me think about it and I will let you know of some good (in my opinion) wheatfree dishes.


    Thanks Alessandra.
    I did read that somewhere, so did I do good, as my tartlets contained some lentils?! Let's see what the future brings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a lovely comment.
    I thought they were mince tarts when I first looked at the picture, but seed and roots sound yummy, perfect for a light sunday dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for coming by Fleur.
    Please don't be deceived by these tartlets. Although the puff pastry is light, the filling is quite 'filling' literally - unless of course you decide to make bite-size morsels, then I guess they could be 'light'.
    Warm wishes :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. MMMMMMM,...georgous & ooh so festive tartes as well!! I so love your filling!

    Yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, those are so pretty even if they are a bit overdone and they sound yummy. Next time I make a pie I am going to cut the top crust into a star. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. these look lovely and I have been seeking some inspiration for a nut roast to make - this might just be the one I need - although I am not sure I could make mine look as lovely - a quiet new year's appeals to me these days too - just so long as I have my veg haggis!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for coming by Kateri.
    I was inspired by other fellow bloggers to add the star, so would thoroughly recommend it. It does make the pie look extra special.


    Thanks Johanna.
    I'll be having some veggie haggis on Burns Night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this pie! So hearty and adorable with the star! Thanks for stopping by my site. Do you live in Scotland by the way? The links on your sidebar seems to indicate so. I actually just made a visit to Edinburgh a few weeks ago, and had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for coming by Shelly.
    Yes i do live in Scotland, but in the West. It is so cold, icy and snowy here.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You