Wednesday, 23 December 2009

Mushroom en Croûte

For those of you who are still thinking what to have on the plate either for yourself as a vegetarian or vegan; or to serve your vegetarian or vegan guests. Well how about a Mushroom en Croûte?! It hardly takes any time to put together, especially as all the ingredients can be bought ready made.

This is such a simple idea that I kick myself as to why I had not thought of it. You don’t even have to use tapenade you could use a pâté, pesto or even caramelised onions in its place. I think this recipe is extremely versatile.
Check the label if you are using a shop bought tapenade as some do contain anchovies; or make your own, providing you have a food processor, below is a straightforward vegan tapenade recipe.

Also, I recently learned the many shop bought puff pastry’s are suitable for vegans as they are made with vegetable oil. With my vegan readers in mind, naughtily from work I even rang the Vegetarian Society this morning to confirm that this was indeed the case. The woman on the other end of the phone told me that she was vegan and loved this product. She confirmed that the majority of this brands products were suitable for vegan. However, do check the labelling as some are ‘all butter’. Good news for vegans in the U.K, eh!?
Mushrooms en Croûte
Serves 4
4 Portobello mushrooms
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4 generous tablespoons of green or black tapenade or mixed olive recipe below
375g ready rolled puff pastry
4 tablespoons milk or soya milk to glaze
Salt and pepper to taste
Sit the mushrooms stem side up, cut off the stem and make crisscross cuts all over, being careful not to cut through the base of the mushroom. Distribute the garlic evenly over the base of the mushrooms along with seasoning, then spread tablespoon of tapenade on each mushroom base. Spread out the pastry on a floured board and roll it out so that you can have four squares. Put the mushroom stem side up into the centre of each pastry square and fold the sides up to encase it, pinching gently with your fingertips. Put the mushroom parcels on to a baking sheet, whichever side up you wish. Brush with the milk. Bake in a preheated oven, gas mark 6 for 25 minutes or until the pastry is puffed up and golden brown and the mushrooms are tender Adapted from Rose Elliot's Veggie Chic.
Vegan Mixed Olive Tapenade

80g or 1/2 cup black olives
80g or 1/2 cup green olives
1 tablespoon capers
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Black pepper, or to taste
Blitz all ingredients for a few seconds, being careful not to over-do it, since tapenade should have some texture. If you don't have a food processor, finely mince the olives and garlic, then combine with all the other ingredients, mixing well.


  1. YUMM...those look SO good!


  2. I have also discovered a vegan puff changed my life! ;-)
    Also great for gardeners because it can transform any vegetable in a main!

    Your Mushrooms en Croûte are very cute.

    Merry Xmas

  3. Mmmmm lovely! My favourite filling too! I would make this in a flash, but Graham's brother hates mushrooms, so I am making a tart with puff pastry, mascarpone, thyme and carmelised onions.

    Have a great Christmas.


  4. Merry X'mas & Happy New Year ;D

  5. I love these and look forward to trying them.

  6. Thanks Pam - Have a Happy Christmas day.

    I am vegetarian so have always appreciated the convenience and versatility of puff pastry, but know that many vegans colleagues were missing out on it, but hopefully not now.

    Have a wonderful Christmas Day.

    Ooh Jacqueline your tart sounds lovely, I really like caramelised onions. You have a wonderful Christmas with Graham and his family.

    Thank you Anncoo,
    You have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too.

    Hope the puff pastry meets with your approval.
    Warm wishes for Christmas.

  7. oh wow, its so simple yet looks so yummy, my dad and bf are huge mushroom fans. I know what you mean about the tapanade having anchovies, many also have parmesan in them. We get a vegan friendly pastry from the store too, its great that people can buy more and more vegan suitable products easily now.
    Hope you had a wonderful christmas!


  8. Thank you Rose.
    I have never ever liked the smell of parmesan. There is a vegetarian one here, but it is so so expensive. So I ony buy it when I know I will be using it, the good thing about it is, you can also freeze it and use it straight from the freezer.

    It is good that a number of mainstream products are vegan friendly.

  9. I am also vegetarian, no vegan, but I try to make more vegan meals, as I drink too much milk for breakfast!!!!!!!

  10. Hi Alessandra, My diet is not vegan, but I have cut out on milk drastically from my diet, I no longer have it in coffee or in cereal, but I do use it for baking.

  11. This looks so good. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such kind messages. Warm wishes to you.

  12. Thank you so much for coming over Mama Veg, it's a real pleasure.

    Thank you Michal.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You