Friday, 18 December 2009

Spiced onion and potato roast

This is really a healthier and succulent version of Bombay potatoes, that really do melt in your mouth.
I made these with my own homegrown onions. My onions this year have been disappointing compared to the previous year, as they were much smaller. Yet I am pleased in the knowledge that they are mine and can still make me cry (when I am peeling them of course).
I served the spiced onion and potato roast with a vegetarian chilli bean. Most people have a good vegetarian chilli bean recipe up their sleeve, so I am not posting one. Just make your own and enjoy it with this potato and onion roast, a change from the usual plain rice or tortillas wraps.
Spiced onion and potato roast
Serves 4
2 tablespoons of oil
1 large onion, finely sliced
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
1 1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder
salt to taste
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
680g floury potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
Heat oil in a casserole dish and cook the onion and spices until soft and the flavours are well infused. Add garlic and potatoes to the casserole dish and coat well in spicy onion mixture. Then place casserole dish in oven gas mark 6 for 45 minutes to an hour until cooked through. Adapted from Entertaining with Friends by Simon Hope.


  1. This dish looks so wonderfully hearty and delicious!

  2. Thank you fotr your comment fresh,local and best.

  3. Anncoo. Thank you so much for your comment which was most appreciated, but my clumsy fingers pressed the delete button in the comment section and I lost your wonderful comment. Please forgive me.

  4. This sounds delicious and one I would be trying with my home grown onions too :)

  5. Hope you and your family enjoy Kella.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You