Friday, 4 December 2009

Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage

Yesterday I posed a question on my blog about my red cabbages and a number of fellow bloggers came up with some lovely recipe suggestions, but I was drawn to Fred's Russian family heritage recipe for 'sweet and sour red cabbage' (see below). I have seen many versions of this dish. Some have red currant jelly, some have caraway seed, some can be eaten hot, others cold, but I have to admit I was never tempted at all as I thought it looked boring, but decided to give it a go after receiving Fred's suggestion. Well I have to conclude, I am a convert. The flavour is sweet and sour but not sharp. Whilst cooking this dish I had been tasting it so see if it was meltingly tender, I tasted it so much, that we hardly have any left to eat with mashed potatoes later on. Oh well, I think that's a good sign that I like it!
For those of you who have not visited Fred's vegetable gardening blog, Grown Away please do stop by for a nosy round; and give him a warm welcome to the growing and blogging world.

Fred's Grandmothers 'Sweet and sour Red Cabbage'
Serves 4
All in one: Ingredients and Method
50g or 1/2 a stick of butter, 1 head of red cabbage (about a kilo or a bit less) cut into quarters. Remove the outer leaves and white core. Slice nice and thin, 6 (75g) tablespoons of sugar, I used brown sugar, and 150 ml of balsamic vinegar.Melt the butter over medium heat & saute the cabbage until it starts wilting, add the sugar, coating the cabbage evenly, add vinegar, reduce to medium-low. Cover and simmer the cabbage until it is tender (about 30-35 minutes). Remove the cabbage, season with a pinch of salt or pepper.

Fred writes 'It's a simple recipe that tastes great'. I for one am not going to disagree.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad the recipe was well received! I'm very fortunate to have grown up watching both grandmothers cook an abundance of delicious traditional Russian/eastern European foods. Over time I have developed an intense appreciation for good food, and often fall back on their recipes for inspiration and hearty meals!

    Also, a sincere thank you for pointing others in the direction of my blog. I'm hoping to provide useful and interesting information from a newbie food gardener.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, sounds delicious. I do well to get any cabbage into a pot as I love it raw and eat most of it as I chop.
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMMMMM,...your cut open red cabbage looks so colourful: purple!

    I so love your recipe. I make mine with red cabbage, grated peeled beets, a cinnamon stick & red onions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I love red cabbage and I like the idea of using butter instead of olive oil, which is what we always do in Italy. Butter will give a new flavour to this dish! I wish I could grown, like you, my own vegetables:))
    Bye Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting, and your comment - it's fun to discover your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fred.
    Thank You and you are so Welcome. As I was stiring this dish it filled the air with an lovely waft too.

    I look forward to seeing your grandmothers traditional Russian/Eastern European recipes as well as many of Your own!


    Louise. I like it raw too, but it is getting nippy now, so maybe give it a go. Put it in a pot...


    Your right Sophie,
    the cabbage cut open does look purple more than red. I actually wrote about this in a previous entry. You recipe sounds good too, may give it a whirl one-day.


    Hello Sabrina,
    I agree the butter in this dish was required, it gave the cabbage soft caramelised taste.
    Maybe oneday you will get a place where you can grow your own, but it might be worth trying to grow some veg in pots or even window boxes.


    Hi Kate,
    I got your last comment. Welcome to my blog, I will come over and have a look at yours sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed your request for red cabbage suggestions, but if you have more to use up, I can heartily recommend a recipe from my mum: http://cadugdale.blogspot.com/2009/08/guivetch-red-cabbage-casserole.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Rachel.
    I will check it out and keep it in mind the next time I get a red cabbage, may not be my own home grown though.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You