Saturday, 19 December 2009

Chard Bean Soup

I've been working the early shift all week, so had the opportunity to stop by the allotment early in the week, when I had picked some silverline chard. I had completely forgotten about it, until I went to the fridge earlier and saw it there wilting. So I decided to make the most of it and transform it into a soup.

It was most welcome as it had just began to snow, not the soft fluffy stuff - but the blustery stuff that melted as soon as it touched the ground.
This chard soup was made pretty much to taste and eye, so no measuring scales or cups.

I noted upon cooking and blitzing the chard, the flavour had completely changed. I actually found it more flavoursome this way, its earthiness came through more.
Chard and cannellini bean soup
Serves 4
Ingredients
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely sliced
1 -2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 ½ - 2 pints of vegetables stock
6 large chard stalks, mix of white and green. Chop the stalks and roughly mince the leaves.
1 x 400g tin of cannellini bean
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
In a large pot, add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until soft and translucent. Add the chopped stalks of the chard and cook for about five minutes before adding the stock, bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and cook for 15 minutes, then add the leaves and cannellini beans cook for a further 10 minutes. Turn off. When cool. Blend half of the soup. Gently reheat and taste for seasoning.

7 comments:

  1. I love lovely soups as these,.. A while ago, I made a similar soup with rainbow chard, chickpeas & lentils!

    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie.
    I have to admit your soup sounds far more delicatable, especially with chickpeas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice hot soup ~ good for rainy season too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of silverline chard but interested as we call chard silverbeet in Australia - wonder if these names are connected - whatever it is called, I have recently found how good silverbeet is when pureed in a soup - so would love this one

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Anncoo.
    I woke up this morning and there is a thick layer of icy snow on the ground. I had enough soup left over from yesterday for two people, so it will be welcome later on.


    Hi Johanna,
    Silverline is the name of the variety (this one being white), similar to perpetual chard, ruby chard, oriole chard and even rainbow chard. I think both in the U.S and Australia 'chard' is known as 'silverbeet'. The chard soup flavour is really intense. So I am sure you would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love you robin and Christmas tree biscuits, very pretty and novel. I've been watching Victorian Farm Christmas, all the cooking, baking and crafting bloggers are doing looks just the same, I love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Ann.
    It is a time when crafters are crafting, bakers are baking and the home cooks are cooking. Ahhh

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You