Wednesday, 9 December 2009

White chocolate chip and squash cookies

Most bloggers are making Christmas cookies and I will too, but at the moment I am still trying to find ways to use my sweet autumnal 'golden apple' squashes, so have ended up making some Misshapen White chocolate chip and squash cookies.
but they tasted good and were rather moreish. I am giving you the recipe below, but the ingredeint quantities are not exact, as I had to add a little extra flour here and a bit of this there. No matter how they turn out, please note that they will be edible.
White chocolate chip and squash cookies
Makes about 36
Ingredients
340g of plain flour
1 teaspoon each of baking soda; baking powder; cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
Pinch of nutmeg
¾ teaspoon salt
80g butter
170g dark brown sugar
200g of squash puree
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
50g white chocolate chips
Optional ½ cup of pecan shells
Method
Preheat oven gas mark 5. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Beat in eggs ad vanilla. Stir in puree. In another bowl combine the flour, all of the spices and salt, stir in the puree and fold in the chocolate and pecans if using. Drop generous spoonfuls onto lightly greased trays about 2 inches apart. Cook for 15 – 20 minutes. Allow to cool and firm up.

11 comments:

  1. I think they look delicious - and they certainly sound it. Just makes me bemoan our poor squash harvest this year. Still, the good thing about gardening is, there's always hope for next year.

    Noted your link to the Real Bread Campaign - I've just been on an Andrew Whitley course which was fantastic! I must get around to joining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your presentation always looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Choclette. I haven't really had much luck with squashes either, these did well only because they are small, the size of an apple. Anything bigger did not fruit or survive the weather here.

    Real bread with texture is something really to behold, unlike those pulpy versions sold in supermarkets. I try to bake my own (with a beadmaker) I am not patient enough to make it from scratch, maybe one-day.


    Thanks Clare.
    I try...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh... I would LOVE to try these!!! Such a fab recipe... Great photo too, makes me salivate!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an unusual recipe! I love all squash so I'm sure the cookies tasted delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look fantastic. How do you come up with so many ideas? The only thing is that the little pumpkins look too cute to peel and cut up!
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your little squashes look just the right size for my garden. I tried butternut squash last year and had no luck. I'll look out for them for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Sabrina.


    Godo to hear from you Michele.


    Thanks Louise.
    When you have veg to use and want to try something different, you flick through some books, trawl the net and think - until you decided on a recipe. I agree they are so cute to cut up, but if it makes you feel better. I have about 20 left over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ann,
    These little cuties were so productive. I think I still have your address from our swap, so the next time I cut one open, i'll dry the seeds and post you some.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! i'm scouring the internet for creative squash recipes right now--we have a bumper crop! Sadly there are no white chocolate chips to be found where i live (in nicaragua) but you better believe i'll be trying these with good old milk chocolate. thanks for sharing!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Liz,
    It is lovely to make your acquaintance. I have been watching that squash plant trail on your blog, it does look really healthy. Shame you don't have white choc chips, but this recipe will work with milk chocolate too. Just a word of warning, different squashes may give slightly different result. So it could be crunchy or soft, either way the cookie should be delicious.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You