Sunday, 27 December 2009

My Tofu Press and Home-made Tofu Crisps

I try not to eat tofu as a meat replacement, but as an ingredient of its own. Although I have tried the silken tofu a couple of times, my preference really is to use the firmer tofu for dishes such as Tofu and Mushroom strogonoff, Thai Green Vegetable curry or even Red curry. However, the one major problem with tofu is that it is often waterlogged, making it not particularly pleasant to eat.
I made these tofu crisps a couple of days ago and anyone who has deep fried tofu will know that it is extremely watery, and we all know that water and oil do not mix. So getting rid of the water from the tofu in my home involves pressing the tofu with a 'cast iron' literally, which can be a hassle resulting in puddles of murky water. In the past I used to use plates and weights of tinned tomatoes and beans, but then came across this cast iron at an antiques fair and thought to myself 'ahh that it would be a handy kitchen gadget' for pressing all kinds of foods, not just tofu.
Anyway, you can imagine my delight when I saw that Ellen of I am Gluten Free offering one lucky reader with an opportunity to win their very own TofuXpress. A TofuXpress is designed particularly to press water from tofu without any other additional equipment. As one who likes her kitchen gadgets (old fashioned and the new) I've decided to enter Ellen's generous giveaway to own my very own TofuXpress.
Then making dishes like these Tofu crisps won't feel so dangerous. All that spluttering, made me nervous and I am quite comfortable cooking with hot oil! After I had shallow fried these think tofu strips I sprinkled over some salt and paprika. My husband took a bite of one and then decided I could enjoy the rest on my own. I think they were okay. In fact, if I am honest, I don't think I would make these tofu crisps again. I would rather eat the tofu spicy biltong instead, for me they had more flavour.

6 comments:

  1. I've never really used tofu as a meat substitute (I've been veggie 25 years - I don't feel the need to substitute anything!) but I like it in Chinese food, where I feel it belongs. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try and dry it out like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel.
    Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

    Nah, I don't think I want to be recommending to anyone to deep fry or even shallow fry tofu strips. Yikes, I can still feel it spitting....

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I have had some strange towers of tins pressing tofu - the iron looks much better but a tofu presser sounds interesting - more for scrambling and crumbling tofu than deep frying it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Johanna,
    The TofuXpress sounds like a tidier way to press water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is so cool! I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for coming by HayMarket8.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen