Saturday, 26 December 2009

Fresh Cranberry and white chocolate chip Scones

Forgive me dear readers, but I still seem to be riding on this culinary 'Cranberry roller coaster'. After making the cranbelly Robin biscuits last week; and the Cranberry and white chocolate chip muffins early this month, today I thought I try my hand at making some fresh cranberry and white chocolate chip scones.

Well I must say I am so glad I did, they turned out pretty good. These scones were really, really light. They were not overly sweet either and the sharpness of the freshly burst cranberry juice in the scones were quite delightful on the tongue. Yum yum. If you don't believe me, try them - you might just like.
I tried to convert the measurements for these scones into American cups, but I don't know how successful I was. But I am trying hey.
Fresh Cranberry and white chocolate chip Scones
Makes about 12
280g or 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
55g or ¼ cup caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
70g or ¼ cup margarine or butter
100g or 1 cup fresh cranberries, if small keep whole, if big cut in half
50g or ¼ cup white chocolate chips
200ml milk (you may not need it all)
Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Add in the margarine or butter till mixture and working with your fingers blend so it begins to resemble breadcrumbs, then stir in the cranberries and white chocolate chips. Carefully add some of the milk and mix to make a smooth dough. Then on a lightly floured surface. Roll out to about 2 inch thick and either cut into individual scones using a cookie cutter; or cut into wedges. Bake at gas mark 4 for 20-25 minutes.


  1. I think the cranberry roller coaster is a good place to be, Mango. These scones look and sound delicious.

  2. Thank you Barbara. I still have a load of fresh cranberries to use up, so there may be more cranberry delights featuring.

  3. Awesome....very nice...I luv scones!


    P.S. hope you had a nice x-mas!

  4. There is no such thing as too much cranberry! I myself have a large bag full still, so I'm hunting for new recipes and might make your scones. I found you through your comment on my blog and look forward to reading more of yours!

  5. Oh, and I am very jealous of your Brussels sprouts!!

  6. Mmmmmm - this recipe sounds very nice - perfect for Xmas!! :-)
    Cheers and happy new year!

  7. Thank you Pam.
    I had a lovely, quiet Christmas shared with my husband.

    Thank you Victoria.

    Thank you for coming by RuckusButt.
    I saw these cranberry shortbread biscuits on RecipeZaar so may have a go making those, or even cranberry bread - as i have just noted a fellow blogger making them. Your right, 'tis the season of cranberry.

    PS These were the better looking of my homegrown sprouts, some of the others were really, really tiny.

    Thank you Dragonfly. Happy New Year to you too.

  8. yum - these look delicious - I have looked for cranberries in our shops but still no luck - what a shame because I know I would love these scones

  9. These cranberry scones look and sound amazingly delicious! I love cranberries but I usually use dried version in my baking. I experienced bitter taste from making cranberry sauce using fresh ones so I'm wondering if your scones have any bitter taste!

  10. Johanna,
    They were really, really nice, I am going make a fresh batch to take over a friends house later. I would have happily given you half of them.

    I have to admit I am extremely surprised that there are no fresh cranberies were you are, but I was reading a fellow bloggers blog, who told me he gets a veg box from a farm and was due to be getting some cranberries from this farm as it is one of the producers in the USA, but when his veg box arrived - there was a lack of cranberries! so I guess those of us in the UK have been lucky to enjoy both USA and Canadian imported cranberries this year.

    Thank you they were light and fluffy.

    When not in season, I tend to use the dried variety too, but with them being imported into the U.K for the Christmas season, I have been taking advantage of them and am will be doing some bakign with them later today.

    About your question, Yes the scones are a bit sharp, sour and sweet from the fresh cranberries, but for me that's part of the pleasure. I guess cranberries are a bit of an acquired taste.

  11. Now you're speaking my language! One of these and a latte=heaven!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You