Tuesday, 8 December 2009

Vegan, spicy, South Asian

style roast dinner.

On this plate are some of the vegetables I picked from the allotment this Sunday: cabbage, carrots and the potatoes were in storage inside of the hut. I served this South Asian style roast veg with spiced tofu, after all fried tofu always tastes better.
I think this is quite a simple meal, though it does have various components that have to come together to make a good plate of food, but as long as your comfortable working with spices and timing, this is quite straightforward. Serve with Tamarind sauce or failing that, a good brown sauce as it contains the magic ingredient, tamarind.

Garam masala potatoes
Serves 4
Ingredients and Method
Peel and chop potatoes, cook in boiling water until you can put a fork through it without pressure. Drain and return to heat to dry off excess water. Then add 2 tablespoon of plain flour and 1 tablespoon of garam masala, shake to cover potatoes.
Heat vegetable oil in oven till hot. Then gently add the coated potatoes, stir so covered in oil, then cook for 50 minutes to an hour, turning halfway through so that all sides are golden. When ready to serve, sprinkle extra chilli powder.

Coriander spiced cabbage
Serves 2 - 4
1 teaspoon of oil
1 Small green cabbage, quartered, core removed and finely sliced
1 clove of garlic, sliced
1 teaspoon of freshly ground coriander seeds
Pinch of chilli
1 teaspoon sea salt
Heat oil, add the cabbage and garlic until translucent, add the coriander seeds, chilli powder if using and salt and cook for a further 10 minutes. Keep warm until ready to serve.

Cumin carrots
2 – 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon of oil
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
In a roasting pan, combine all ingredients and cook for 20 minutes, giving it a shake halfway until cooked.

Indian Spiced Tofu
Serves 2
250g firm tofu
1 teaspoon chilli or cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon sea salt
250g vegetables oil
Squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
Mix all the spices then spread out on a flat plate.
Cut the tofu in half, and then slice each half to make four pieces. Dip the pieces into the spices, coating them over. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the tofu and cook until brown and crispy on one side about 5 minutes. Turn then pieces over and cook the other side. Optional, squeeze the lemon juice over and cook for a couple of minutes, then serve immediately.


  1. Looks like my kind of dinner, definately going to have to try this!

  2. I knew by the title of this post that I'd be a fan. I love what you did with the carrots, I don't often enough roast veggies with Indian spices. I am very familiar with your method for the cabbage, I could eat a giant plateful that way anytime! I am most intrigued by the tofu and potatoes, neither of which I've prepared that way but I'm sure I'll be crazy about it. I will be trying this soon. Excellent meal!

  3. This looks absolutely delightful! I'll definitely be trying this out.

  4. The potatoes sound delicious, a different take on roast potatoes.

  5. I love the look of your South Asian meal! I could do with a meal like this right now ;)


  6. Thanks Clare. Hope you enjoy!

    Oh Sarah, I am so glad you like. Thank you so much for your comment.

    Ah Fred. Enjoy!

    Thanks Jo. Yeah, it still a roast potato! but with seasoning.

    Well why don't you come on over, the next time I make this, I will put put a plate on the table for you :D

  7. I love the addition of the spices to the cabbage,carrots and potatoes. I must confess I have just very basic spices but reading your recipes encourages me to start a spice cupboard!

  8. Thanks Peggy and I am so pleased to read my recipes are having some impact. I don't know where I would be without my spice rack.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You