Thursday, 17 December 2009

Its not a bread loaf...

but a 3 lentil vegetable loaf..mmmmmm

The carnivorous amongst you would have meat and two veg on your plates. For me its usually a good plate of diverse vegetables, but when the winter season truly kicks in, the colourful vegetables that adorned my plate early in the year are drastically reduced. So I end up filling this gap on my plate with an 'accompaniment'. This could be vegetarian sausages, a supermarket mock ‘meat’ product, or a home made ones such as a lentil-nut-vegetable loaves, which I prefer. I know many people, vegetarians too would turn their nose up to the option of a nut loaf and would rather to leave it in the deep realms of the 1960s, but I think a good nut or lentil loaf deserves its place in today's society. So I am putting the limelight on this 3 lentil vegetable loaf.
During the winter I heavily rely on my make shift store cupboard: which holds numerous dry ingredients like lentils, pulses, grains, flours and nuts. Hence the reason why such dishes come out of my kitchen,
This lentil vegetable loaf was really substantial and quite tasty too. I have served it with both gravy and chutney, and eaten it both warm and cold.
Although the vegetables at my plot are scarce with only brassica’s such as cavolo nero; and Brussels sprouts greening my dinner plate. It's not all bad really, as I still have plenty of chard, some beetroot and parsnips in the ground. In storage, we have potatoes, some carrots; and in the freezer: peas, green beans and plenty of berries.
3 lentil vegetable loaf
Makes 8 – 10 mini loaves or 1 x 2lb loaf tin
50g of Puy lentils
50g brown lentils
250g orange lentils
50g butter
1 large onion, peeled and finely sliced
2 large carrots, halved and sliced
1 large pepper, diced or 100g peas
3 celery sticks, sliced
2 – 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 fresh chilli, finely chopped
2 generous teaspoons of ground cumin
150g mild cheddar cheese, grated
150g mixed nuts, ground
4 medium eggs
Line the base of the loaf tin(s) with baking parchment paper. Place all the lentils (and peas if using) in different pots covered with water and cook until cooked, about 10 minutes for the orange lentils and 15 minutes for the puy and brown lentils. Drain and place all of them in a large mixing bowl.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add all the vegetables, garlic, chilli and cumin. Cook over a low heat, until the vegetables are just tender. Remove from the heat and add to the lentils with the ground nuts, cheese, and eggs. Mix thoroughly, then season well and taste. Spoon the mixture into the lined loaf tin(s) and bake in a preheated oven gas mark 3 for 45 minutes, until firm to the touch. Allow to cool before serving. Adapted from an Irish cookbook called Avoca Café Cookbook.


  1. Oh me oh my! I love a good nut loaf (much maligned,to my mind) and this looks fantastic, Mango. Thanks for the recipe - looks like one for the weekend!

  2. These loaves look really gorgeous and so healthy. I would go for the mini loaves. Wish I can have one for lunch. Thanks for sharing.

  3. That sounds really yummy - I love lentils (and garlic!)

  4. Never understood why some people have such a downer on nut roast or lentil loaves - a good home made one can't be beaten!

  5. Mmmm, indeed! I would never turn my nose up to one of these little loaves!

  6. hurrah for reclaimimg the nut roast - I can't imagine life without them - this looks delicious and warming food

  7. I think these loaves will go well with chutney,never tried this before, though. But they do look cute.

  8. Those look SO festive and yummy...well done!


  9. Thanks Fran, if you do get round to making it - I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

    Thanks Marymoh.

    Thanks Rachel.

    Your right Choclette. A home-made one cannot be beaten. In the past i have tried shop bought ones, and it really is a 'no no'.

    Good to hear Sarah.

    Thank you Johanna.

    Thank you Cheah, they were rather delicious with the chutney, which was also home-made.

    Thank you Pam. They are quite festival - yay.

  10. Hello, wonderful blog you have. I must come often. This looks so healthy and delicious.
    Have a nice weekend ;D

  11. OMG - This is tickling me in just the right sooo going to try this recipe. Your pictures are yum!

  12. Thank you Ancoo.

    Thank you Raw Girl. So kind of you to become a follower. Thank you so much I am so humbled.

  13. I'm bookmarking this because I've been looking for a veggie 'core' for a Wellington and this might just work very well! Thanks for stopping by my blog and as for the Nanaimo Bars, go ahead and try them - you (and your hubby) won't be sorry! Let me know how you get on... :-)


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You