Wednesday, 30 December 2009

Cranberry and Clementine Bread for Us and the Birds

This year, although I have been extremely good and committed to eating local, fresh produce or British grown. There are some seasonal products that are not grown here, so have to be imported, such as the cranberry, which you may know, I have been thoroughly enjoying. So for next year, on my gardening 'wish list' is to get myself a cranberry bush, here’s hoping.
Anyway, as I still had some imported cranberries sitting at the bottom of my fridge, a couple of days ago, I decided to make Cranberry bread. I got the original recipe from Freds blog Grown Away. Fred informed me that his home state was one of largest cranberry producers, so he was merrily looking forward to receiving some black heirloom cranberries in his vegetable box, but surprisingly none appeared. Although disappointed, Fred was not deterred and purchased some dried local cranberries from his natural food store; and made an incredibly simple cranberry walnut bead.

Now I have absolutely no doubt that Fred's Cranberry and walnut bread was delicious, but you know me, I had to tweak it just a little. Sorry Fred, (she says wincing) but I think you will approve.
I don’t think the photograph taken does the 'Cranberry and Clementine bread' justice, as it doesn’t show the burst colours of the cranberries, but they are there. The bread was moist, it was not as sweet as the scones and the muffins I made earlier in the month. I think because they had white chocolate in them, whereas this bread allowed the sourness of the cranberries to come through, which my husband loved. The flavour of the Clementine also came through, although a tad subtle and the walnuts gave it that extra texture. Nice.

Now talking of growing and cakes, I thought I better mention that I have been fortunate to have been chosen to receive not one, but two gifts from fellow bloggers. The first is a baking book called Muffins Galore from Icook4fun of Kitchen Snippets. I had completely forgotten about this until I got an email yesterday. The second will be a surprise gift from Ribbit of The Corner Yard where I will become one of the lucky recipients of a 'Pay it Forward' parcel. Please do check out this link, I absolutely adore the way my 'blogger name' was picked out!

What a lovely way to end the year…unexpected gifts, Smiles and new blog friends.
And finally, how could we forget about the little birds that entertain us in the garden, I made them a loaf of there own too. I made this with vegetable fat which I melted, ands then poured into a 2lb loaf tin that contained a mixture of chopped apples, nuts, seeds, dried fruit and some fresh cranberries. I left it in the fridge overnight and then the following day, cut a slice and left it on the Bird table. Sorry I didn't get a picture of that, I wanted to - but the red breasted Robin just wouldn't pose for me.
Cranberry and Clementine Bread
Makes 2lb Loaf
Ingredients
2 cups plain flour
¾ cup caster sugar
1½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
¼ cup butter*
1 medium egg
¾ cup Clementine juice
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
½ cup chopped walnuts
Method
In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg, juice and peel; stir into dry ingredients just until blended. Add the cranberries and walnuts. Spoon batter into a greased 2lb loaf pan. Bake at Gas mark 4 for 45 minutes to an hour or until a toothpick inserted near the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

I took Fred’s advice and cooked the bread on a lower temperature. I loved the simplicity of this recipe, plus the use of American cup measurements. *The only part that made me raise my eyebrows was measuring butter in the quarter cup, you have to push in the butter and then spoon it out to use.

13 comments:

  1. well that is gratitude for you from that little robin red breast - they are flibertigiberts

    There are many sites which will convert cups of butter into weight - I think a quarter is about 65g but would need to check

    And clementine juice - did you make your own or can you buy it - sounds very exotic but great in a cake with cranberries

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cranberry bread looks absolutely delicious! I really love this simple recipe and can't wait to give it a try, thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe.

    How lucky! Congrats for the unexpected gifts from your new blog friends, Im so happy for you:)

    I love the look of the veggie fat loaf for the birds, you're SO cute! Next time, you have to sing to make the bird pose for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Johanna,
    Mm the robins are a bit like cats then...
    I worked out the conversion of cups into grams (see my side bar) but there are still some I need to check.

    I do have some fresh clementines in the flat, but actually for the recipe used a carton of juice, with it being Christmas it was being sold at the local supermarket. Have a Happy New Year.


    Thank you Oraphan.
    Yes, I have been very lucky this month!
    If I could sing I would, but I think I would even scare the cats away, not just the birds...
    Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY NEW YEAR Mangocheeks, I often see your comments on Kella's blog so thought I would pay you a visit. I am going to try the cranberry and clementine bread it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for coming by Maureen.
    Happy New Year to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you'll enjoy the package as much as the boy's amusement at your name! It will be on it's way either today or at the start of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sure I will Ribbit.
    Thank you so much once again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet the bread was delicious ;-). I've been enjoying mine for breakfast all week.
    I am all for tweaks and adjustments to make the recipes interesting! The butter measurment is because our sticks of butter contain the tablespoon, teaspoon, and cup measurments on the wrapper so I probably just looked down and the first I saw was 1/4 cup.

    Cheers to you and I hope you have a wonderful and Happy 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Fred,

    It was really delicious and I have been eating for lunch. I wil give it a go next year with dried cranberries too.

    Happy New Year to you too and looking forward to reading more about your growing and cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Thank you for stopping by my blog.. I love the bird loaf you made ot treat the birdies, such a good idea and nice ingredient too! I think I will have a go at making some soon, always wanted to have a go.. Have a happy new year,

    ps. yes the gingerbread man came with cookies...although they didnt last long..ha,ha

    Priscilla x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for returning the compliment Priscilla. Happ New Year to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bread looks delicious and I love that you made a treat for the birds. We are huge bird lovers and feed a whole flock in our yard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Michele.
    Its nearly all gone. Except for the bit in the middle that I did not compact well with fruit. Lesson for next time, but they have enjoyed it.
    Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You