Saturday, 12 December 2009

Berry time Jam with Banana Soda bread farls

A few good months ago, I came across these Scottish karaka blackberries at a grocery store and had to get them. It was madness and sheer indulgence especially as I had so many berries: raspberries, black and red currant, strawberries and gooseberries, all growing on my own plot, but when I saw these fat, long, juicy berries I just could not resist.

Would you have been able to resist them? They actually tasted rather good and with substance and texture.

We had eaten of these karaka blackberries with some fresh with whipped cream, some with waffles, some with pancakes, but I had some left over along with my own strawberries and raspberries. So I decided to preserve some of them in the form of jam. I measured out exactly 500g and made a simple 50:50 jam recipe from Darina Allen. We have pretty much finished the jar now, but I managed to take one picture before it was all gone. Here is the jar served with banana soda bread farls and whipped cream.

Banana soda bread farls
Ingredients
200g strong wholemeal flour
200g plain flour
1tsp salt
2tbs sugar
1tsp bicarb
2 ripe bananas
250ml buttermilk or natural yogurt
100ml milk (you may not need this). For two reasons, your banana might be really ripe and secondly, it depends on the consistency of the buttermilk or natural yogurt, some are thick and creamy, others are pourable consistency. So check after adding these, before adding any milk.
Method
Preheat oven gas mark 7. mix flours, salt, sugar, and bicarb in large bowl.
Peel the bananas and mash to a pulp. Add the flour with the buttermilk, yogurt and enough milk to make a firm, but not dry dough. Knead lightly until smooth, then shape into 9inch round. Cut into six wedges. Transfer to a non-stick baking sheet and sprinkle with a little flour. Bake for 20 – 30 minutes until browned and crusty. Cool on a wire rack. Original recipe for Banana soda bread farls from here.

6 comments:

  1. looks so yummy and I could just eat some of that even though I'm stuffed full from the christmas day meal we hosted for my family today. I always forget about making soda bread but it's a great choice for people like me who don't fare so well with yeast risen bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you've already made a Chrismas meal! Busy bee. I haven't been given many days off from work, so I won't be going to see my family in Wales this year, and nor will we be going to Ds parents in Essex either as they have now moved overseas. Sometimes we have my nephews up, but I didn't get round to booking their tickets, so its just the two of us over Christmas this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never seen karaka blackberries - they look great. Are they from NZ? The farls, jam and decorations look fab too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Choclette,
    They are amazing. These were grown in Scotland, but they may have originated from NZ.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You