Thursday, 31 October 2013

Bloody Massacre Beetroot Man Pies

Promise this will be my last beetroot recipe for the month.  Ha ha, of course it will - it is the end of the month.  

Anyway, please please just humour me with the name of this recipe.  After all, 'tis the Halloween season of spooks, chills and thrills.  Our evening TV is heavily being overtaken by horror and slasher movies and gore.  So I thought, I would incorporate a little of it into my vegetarian home cooking.  


Truth is since starting blogging, I haven't really made many Halloween themed vegetarian treats, other than the obvious Red GHOULash.  Simply because its not something, I participate in. However since moving back to Wales, closer to family and moreso closer to nephews and nieces who pro-actively want to be part of anything that their peers are involved in.  Well, I don't know how long I will be this close to them , so this week I have namely for them  decided to play cool Aunty and have created a number of Halloween themed vegetarian savoury nibbles and bites. 
You have already seen my Vampire Eggs aka Beetroot Scotch Eggs; and my vegan Zombie Pies filled with roasted autumn vegetables.   After creating the vegan Zombie aka Voodoo Doll pies , I wanted to create another vegetarian pie, however this one had to have some red gory filling inside of it ...So when you cut it open, you see vegetables that what would mimic blood and guts.  So here they, may I present to you my 'Bloody Massacre Beetroot Man Pies'.   What do you think?!

Now, I know it doesn't look very appetising to the eyes, but it does taste damn good, especially if you like beetroot. There is also some red onion and other store cupboard essentials, being in Wales, I have used some local ingredients: Dragon Cheddar  Cheese and Welsh Red Mustard, therefore I am sharing this recipe with Elizabeth's Kitchen foShop Local #3, as the.
Bloody Massacre Beetroot Man Pies
Makes 6
You will need 6 silicon gingerbread people mould.  You can also make one large pie or 6 individual ones in a muffin tin.
Ingredients For the Beetroot Cheddar Cheese filling
180g Dragon Mature Welsh Cheddar
300g cooked beetroot, grated
1 medium red onions, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon Welsh red mustard (or Dijon grainy mustard)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise 
1 tablespoon pickle such as Branston
Salt and pepper to taste
Method 
In a large bowl, stir all the Beetroot Cheese filling together, season to taste and set aside.
Now make the pastry
You have three choices for the pastry.
For ease, you can use shop bought shortcrust pastry and cook according to packet instructions.
Or you can make your own shortcrust pastry. For recipe follow here.
Or You can make you own hot water crust pastry, which is my personal preference.

Follow here for the recipe. For individual pies, see here.

Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180oc.

Roll out the pastry to fit your moulds.
Fill the pastry with the roasted vegetable filling and beans and press down well.  Then roll out the remaining pastry for the lid.  Using a sharp knife, cut off excess pastry and repeat process for other pies.
Bake for 35 - 40 minutes depending on the size of your shortcrust or hot water crust pastry pie(s). Allow to cool, before serving.
Massacre Bloody Pie Beetroot Man Pie.

12 comments:

  1. LOL...I love these, and your Zombie Pies too! You are the coolest Aunty on the planet! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much (Big Smile on my face)

      Delete
  2. These are so cute!! They're just perfect for Halloween! Hope you have a happy Halloween. :)

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adi. Hope you had a good Halloween too.

      Delete
  3. I bet they were tasty, even if not tasteful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your bloody pies - we don't do much halloween but this year I have done more - probably because sylvia is at an age to enjoy some fun food. I would have loved an aunt like you when I was little with all the great cooking you do - hope that you had a fun halloween

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Johanna. I enjoyed partaking this year, may have to do it again next year, more for the kids though - I think my party days are coming to an end :( in fact they never started. Hey ho, I am glad you are making more of it though, must do so for the little one - in your case Sylvia. Take care for now, will be on over later.

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love this!! I love Halloween themed food and this dish is superb! The ingredients list sounds amazing too, well done you! I think your title of Cool Aunty is well deserved! Thank you for sharing with #ShopLocal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. I should have taken a pictures of both the ingredeitns mentioned, I will and maybe try and insert it here if I can, otherwise may use it another recipe - my husband loves my Welsh Pies, and i am hoping to make an up-dated version of them, so another entry with these two Welsh ingredients will be coming your way later in the month. PS Made me smile with the title of cool aunty.

      Delete
  6. That is so cute, clever and looks delicious, all rolled into one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yeah I was pretty chuffed with them.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen