Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Vegan Zombie Pies

A couple of years back, when I lived in Glasgow,  I thought about applying to an ad in the local paper recruiting people of African, Mexican or Asian origin to feature in Brad Pitts movie World War Z.  I was certain I would get a place as an extra, but I had my serious head on and hesitated as I was applying for a stable income and nervous that a job interview would coincide with the filming, and yes it did.  Unfortunately, I didn't get that job or  participate on this one which would have been fun and totally awesome, not that you would have seen me of course, as many of the extra's got lost in the frenzy of the panic running scene.
No sightings of Brad Pitt, but we had the opportunity to walk around the George Square that had become Philadelphia and the film set of the movie.  Here are some pictures from my archive.  




Okay, now onto pies.  I actually made these Zombie Pies for my stall around the Halloween theme where it proved to be a talking point, as it was very different from your round and oval pies, I also made some with my young nephews in mind (see above).  These pies are a little fiddly to make, as you are trying to mould the hot water pastry into the moulds which is my preferred way of making pastry for pies), but the end result is so, so worth the extra effort.   Just to see the smiles on the faces of the little ones.
Perhaps I should have called them 'vegan Voodoo Doll Pies', especially as I have pierced the pie here with sticks.  What do you think? Zombie Pies or Voodoo Doll Pies? Anyway, I am sharing this rather friendly looking,  vegan Zombie Pie with  What I Ate Wednesday#145 hosted by Peas and Crayons, and Lets cook with Pumpkins hosted by Nayna of Simply Food.  
Roasted Autumn Vegetable and Spinach Zombie Pies
You will need 6 silicon gingerbread people mould.  You can also make one large pie or 6 individual ones in a muffin tin.
For the filling
1 x butternut squash or small pumpkin or mixture of both.  Peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite size piece
2 medium red onions, peeled and quartered
4 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
160g fresh spinach1 x 400g can of kidney beans, drained and simmered for a couple of minutes to cook through
Salt and pepper to taste
Method 
In a large bowl, add the squash, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, red onion and garlic cloves, coat with the oil.  then tip onto a large roasting tin and roast for 35 - 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.  Turning over now and again, to prevent it from sticking.  When roasted, allow to cool.  When the vegetables are cool, squeeze out the garlic and discard the skin, put into a large bowl, along with the rest of the roasted vegetables, gently mash.
In a frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil and saute the spinach until it wilts.  Turn of f heat and allow to cool. Then stir this into the mashed vegetables along with the kidney beans.  Season to taste and set aside.
Now make the pastry
You have three choices for the pastry.
For ease, you can use shop bought shortcrust pastry and cook according to packet instructions.
Or you can make your own shortcrust pastry. For recipe follow here.
Or You can make you own hot water crust pastry. My personal preference.

Follow here for the recipe. For individual pies, see here.

Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180oc.

Roll out the pastry to fit your mould.Fill the pastry with the roasted vegetable filling and beans and press down well.  Then roll out the remaining pastry for the lid.  Using a sharp knife, cut off excess pastry and repeat process for other pies.
Bake for 35 - 40 minutes depending on the size of your shortcrust or hot water crust pastry pie(s). Allow to cool, before serving.


18 comments:

  1. What fun being in the movie would have been! That is the cutest zombie I have seen! Clever idea, nice filling too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks YV, yes it would have been :( Yeah I am pretty pleased with them, though I know a trained pastry chef would have worked their magic wand to make it look far more fantastic. These as you know are homemade and I am pleased with them, so were the kids.

      Delete
  2. I love the zombie pies! So cute and creepy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I have never seen a pie shaped like that before and they look really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yeah I am pretty pleased with them, though I know a trained pastry chef would have worked their magic wand to make it look far more fantastic. These as you know are homemade and I am pleased with them, so were the kids.

      Delete
  4. Hi Shaheen, just catching up with blogs, what a shame you didn't get in the movies!!
    Zombie pies, what fun, I'm sure your nephews loved them. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally, yes its a shame, another opportunity missed :(
      I am pretty pleased with them, though I know a trained pastry chef would have worked their magic wand to make it look far more fantastic. These as you know are homemade and I am pleased with them, so were the kids.

      Delete
  5. That would have been fun to play a zombie in the movie!
    Awesome pies with lovely filling. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nic, yes it would have been
      I am pretty pleased with them, though I know a trained pastry chef would have worked their magic wand to make it look far more fantastic. These as you know are homemade and I am pleased with them, so were the kids.

      Delete
  6. This is so innovative and perfect for kids.Thankyou for linking it to Lets cook with pumpkin event.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never thought I would ever crave a zombie... but I must say I'm craving these!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazed how great philly looks as Glasgow or errr..... wait! other way round!
    Still got loads of pumpkin left after 2 pans of soup, so going to give your great recipe a go...thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You