Monday, 28 October 2013

Vegetarian Beetroot Scotch Eggs

My husband gets excited when I speculate that I may make some vegetarian Scotch eggs.  Well I thought I better not tease him this time round and actually made some, but there was a little twist.  For those of you who have been reading my food blogging ventures for a while, will know what is coming next and know in advance that my Scotch Eggs were not going to be the traditional vegetarian Scotch eggs, such as those I've made in the past.  In fact they were going to be more in line with my Welsh Glamorgan Eggs, or even my Red Dragon Welsh Vegetarian Scotch Eggs which has a bit more fire made around St David's Day. 

These vegetarian Scotch eggs my dear readers were going to look red and meaty with the help of a root vegetable, yes the under-rated beetroot.   When you bite into the crisp golden exterior, you will taste the beetroot, but in a good way - a little earthy.  It is not overpowering at all as its toned down by the chickpeas. Then you will get a little twang from the mango powder.  But more so, you will be amazed at the way the beetroot naturally colours all of the ingredients  such as the chickpeas, chickpea flour and quinoa that snuggle up nicely around the egg. 
Because fellow bloggers are making and sharing all things Halloween, I thought I'd join in this week with the fun too, so I've dubbed these Beetroot Scotch Eggs as Vampire Eggs! Something I think fans of the vampire themed fantasy romance series Twilight may approve of, after all The Cullens family were all vegetarian vampires.  
I am sharing this recipe with Recipe of the Week hosted by A Mummy Too; and My Legume Love Affair #64.  MLLA  was created by Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook, and is now run by Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen. This October it is being hosted by Princy of Spicy Food; and finally with  What I Ate Wednesday#145 hosted by Peas and Crayons, 
Vegetarian Beetroot Scotch Eggs 
Makes 6 Scotch eggs
6 free-range hard boiled eggs, shells removed
100g Quinoa
175ml water
1 medium beetroot, grated
1 medium onion, grated
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
Optional: 1 teaspoon mango powder also known as Amchoor or even sumac 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
100g chickpea flour, plus extra for coating the eggs
1 x 400g tinned chickpeas, mashed 
Coat the eggs in a little chickpea flour, then set aside or put in the fridge.
Rinse the Quinoa in a sieve with cold water.  Then boil it in 175ml water fro 10 minutes, covered with a lid.  Remove the saucepan from the heat to cool down completely.
In a large bowl,  add the grated onion and beetroot.  Then stir in the spices and chickpea flour.
When the Quinoa is completely cold, add it to the bowl, along with the mashed chickpeas and mix well to combine like a burger mixture it should be firm, not soft.  If it is soft, add extra chickpea flour. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.  Leave the mixture to firm up in the fridge for about an hour.
For outer crisp coating and deep frying
80g panko crumbs (or 80g fresh breadcrumbs) 
1 large egg white lightly beaten or whisked (optional - I like it whisked as it gives it a tempura like texture).
Vegetable oil for deep frying

Divide the mixture into six equal portions and then using your hands begin moulding the Chickpea Beetroot mixture around the egg,  squeezing gently to hold and bind it together, ensuring that there are no gaping holes. Mould gently until you have a nice firm and well covered egg.  Once you have covered all the eggs, put in the fridge to chill.  
When ready to deep fry, whisk the egg white, dip the eggs in it, then roll gently into the panko or fresh breadcrumbs and deep fry in vegetable oil until golden all over. Serve immediately or at room temperature. 


  1. Exactly HOW big was that bunch of beetroot you bought? You have certainly managed to make an impressive array of dishes with it. I'm imagining the faces of some young Trick or Treaters coming to your house expecting chocolate and being given "Vampire Eggs" instead! Now there's an idea - cover the eggs in chocolate... :)

    1. Thank you Mark, to answer your question - 3 medium and 2 small beetroots x 2 bunches. If you note, my lovely friend - most of the recipes i make call for 1 medium beetroot, so you can see how I make it stretch a long way. I also made some more Beet chocolate cake, but I won't feature that again.
      PS Your a little devil - I am not that mean to cover these eggs in chocolate :)

  2. Oh my goodness, these are amazing looking. The red of the beetroot looks so pretty with the egg filling. Great idea.

  3. i am not a fan of scotch eggs BUT i totally love the fact that you have incoporated beetroot into your recipe - they look so unusual and attractive x

  4. These look wonderful! Love the way beetroot can add a special twist to almost every dish! Great idea!

  5. these are AMAZING and really tickle my halloween fancy.. The Viking would adore these so I guess i'll have to give them a go, thanks so much for sharing x

  6. Beautiful Scotch eggs! I've seen some veggie ones made from kidney beans before, but I much prefer the colours on these!

  7. Beautiful Scotch eggs! I've seen some veggie ones made with kidney beans before, but I much prefer the colours of these!

    1. So lovely to hear from you Hazel. The flavour is quite different to the beany variety, which I must admit I quite like.

  8. LOVE these, as you know :) Pinned! Thanks so much for linking up to #recipeoftheweek. Delighted to have showcased them. There's a fresh linky live now - would love you to pop over and join in with another fab recipe :)

    1. Thank you so much. I hope to join in again.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You