Thursday, 24 October 2013

Savoury Beetroot and Cumin Scones

As I type these words, I am not kidding you Along comes a spider dropping effortlessly from the ceiling down onto the keyboard.  Eek, I don't mind spiders at all, small or those with spindly long legs, its the ones with the big bodies and hairy legs that give me the chills, fortunately the one creeping down is of a delicate nature, and I am just going to blow it towards the wall.

Okay, now to these savoury bites.  I've had this recipe for Beetroot and Cumin Scones bookmarked from Jen over at Blue Kitchen Bakes, having stumbled upon it when I was submitting my recipe for Rhubarb, Rose Petal and White Chocolate Flapjacks for a seasonal food  blogger event.  


 Jen's savoury scones got my attention, not just because of the way they looked, a factor indeed but also for its inclusion of cumin.  I like cumin: seeds or in powder form.  She wrote she was inspired to make them after seeking inspiration from Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache written by Harry Eastwood.  Anyway, I am so glad I finally got round to making it.  
They were very different from how I had imagined them to be.  I am not saying I did not like them, I did, but these scones are not a traditional British scone: light and fluffy.  These are quite dense.  I may be totally wrong here in my comparison, but they looked to me more of what the Americans call biscuits.  For those of you who have satellite TV may have stumbled across an American cooking show called Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and the host Guy Fieri, winner of Next Food Network Star - Americans equivalent of the British Masterchef.  On a number of the shows, you will see these Southern buttermilk biscuits, what to my eyes look like scones.  These buttermilk scones are sliced and filled with all manner of things, but namely fried chicken.  I filled mine with brie cheese and it worked pretty well.  I think these would be great served alongside soup or a hearty stew.  I am hoping to make these again.

I wanted to share these savoury Beetroot  and Cumin Scones at this month Bookmarked Recipes Challenge, but am unable to as I have already submitted three recipes. Boo hoo.  Therefore, I am not going to post the recipe this time round as I followed it word for word.  So if you wish to make these, then please follow this link to the Blue Kitchen Bakes for the recipe.

9 comments:

  1. isn't it wonderful how beetroot does it's magic... these look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dom. I will be making them again, tomorrow to accompany a stew

      Delete
  2. All of your beetroot recipes look scrumptious!!! I have never cooked much with beetroot, but I do love them. And my Grandmother cooked a lot with beets. Your yummy pictures and beetroot recipes have inspired me and I am going to make sure I try several beet recipes in the near future. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much Dave and Anna.
      Since blogging, I have challenged myself to cook more and more with beetroot and I have to say, most of what I have made I have not minded at all. My recent posts have also included Beetroot Mousse and Beetroot Scotch Eggs. I do hope you get to try some of them in the near future. I will pop by your blog soon, thank you so much for supporting mine.

      Delete
    2. You are very welcome! And will be glad for you to drop in, too. We recently had some "bugs" in our main blog, but it is finally back up. Added in, my desktop was down for a year, so the cooking blog is way behind. I am looking forward to catching it up now, and catching up browsing through yours.

      Delete
    3. :) Hate computer bugs, my computer is just slow these days which hinders me visiting other bloggers, I used to be so proactive before, now slower. Will def. come by.

      Delete
  3. I do love the look of these, and I do love beetroot with cumin seeds- I roast the two together often. btw, I saw your beetroot anniversary recipe on my reading list but was unable to get the page, so I thought I'd better let you know- it looks like a technical problem with Blogger, but maybe if you try posting it again it will publish?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yuk I do hate spiders! Your scones are lovely, such a pretty colour!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen