Sunday, 6 October 2013

Turkish Menemen for Sunday Breakfast

I mentioned before that my husband confiscated my library card as I was failing to return books back and having ridiculous amounts to pay in  overdue fine fees.  Silly of me really, as we don't have money to throw away.  Anyway, a couple of months back he pitied me and returned it to me.  The local library doesn't have a large selection of vegetarian and vegan cookbooks, generally mainstream celebrity chef stuff, still I like to visit it and flick through whatever it has on its shelves.  

I know I really need to start reading proper books, maybe some fiction, rather than just hoarding cookbooks, so I ask any of you if you have any good reads that you would recommend, something that would engross me and take my mind of the what is happening or not happening around me.  Until then, I will continue to bring home a cookbook or two and most recently it was The Modern Pantry by Anna Hansen.  And guess what, I actually cooked from it!  There are a number of dishes that intrigued me in relation to world flavour combinations, but also the skill in making them that I would like to try for myself, but the one dish that I was tempted to try immediately was Turkish Menemen minus the Sumac Yogurt.  Turksih Menemen is also known to some as Turkish one pan eggs and pepper dish; or in other parts of the middle east Shakshuka or Moroccan Baked Eggs.  The first time I encountered it was in a 1980s vegetarian cookbook by British vegetarian food writer Rose Elliot, as mentioned in this recent blog post . 



I have been to Turkey, a couple of times and I have to admit, I've never had this dish there and nor have I ever seen it on offer at any of the Turkish cafes or restaurants.  The only reason I think I may have missed out on this wonderfully  delicious dish is simple, we travelled with a group made up of relatives and friends and as you may know, you are often dictated by majority rule.  The places we would frequent were often geared towards the British and European/Western tastes.  The only time D and me would get to try authentic Turkish food is when we went out and about ourselves and then it was, namely street food.
Anyway, this Turkish Menemen truly was delicious and made for a perfect  Sunday breakfast. And I barely made any changes the recipe, maybe a teeny weeny bit more chilli flakes, but other than that I followed the recipe to the letter.   The flavours just exploded in my mouth.  I served it with some crusty bread, to mop up all the yolk and tomato sauce - it was most satisfying!

I do think my father would love this dish.  I may just have to make it for him, that is of course if he permits me to do so.
I am sharing this breakfast dish with Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes who is hosting Octobers Edition#29 of Bookmarked Recipes. For the Turkish Menemen recipe follow this link from The Modern Pantry by Anna Hansen.

11 comments:

  1. Ahh, that's interesting Shaheen. your Turkish menemen looks very similar to Egyptian Shakshuka which is one of my favourite dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right Choclette. I knew that as I was typing it, then forgot to mention that observation as i must have been tired - updated the post now. Thanks

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious! Such great colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love reading! and libraries!! have you read any alice hoffman?x

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love libraries! and books and reading! glad you've got your card back... have you read any alice hoffman?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sian. No I haven't, any one in particular that you would recommend, I will check them out the next time I am at the library which will be this week, when I go into town :)

      Delete
  5. I have just read Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier and I have no idea why it took me so long to get round to it. If you haven't read it yet, get a copy as soon as you can. But, there is nothing wrong with reading cookbooks. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kath. Yes, I have read that one and then the follow up by another author called Wide Sargossa Sea that focused on the wifes side of the story. Also watched the B&W movies, enjoyed them.
      :)

      Delete
  6. It looks great Shaheen, I never saw it in Turkey either. I just finished reading Listening for Lucca. It's a children's book, but really good. I could hardly put it down. Oh and thanks for submitting your recipe to Bookmarked Recipes. The roundup is now live.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You