Tuesday, 22 October 2013

Chocolate Beetroot Scones

I picked a couple of bunches of beetroot at the weekend, so be warned the next few days this blog of mine will feature some crimson tinted edible bites: some will be savoury; and some will be sweet. To be truthful, I don't even know why I picked them up, as I've mentioned on my blog many times I am not a huge fan of beetroot. I do however, think there is a small part of me that challenges the inner experimental cook in me to cook more creatively with these rooty beetroot bombs that explode colour all over you once peeled!

Anyway, to kick off, Beetroot Chocolate Scones with optional  dark chocolate chips.  I liked how these turned out, especially how the fresh beetroot imparts not just its earthy flavour, but its natural food colouring.  

After slicing one in half and smothering it with freshly whipped cream, I slowly nibbled at one half and gave the other half to D to taste test.  He approved, so I kept four scones back and sent the other six over to my mothers.  I chose not to tell anyone there that these scones had been made with beetroot.  A couple of hours later, I rang to hear the verdict. Delicious!  even more so with the whipped cream - the kids scoffed them up in no time. Then I told them of the hidden ingredient.  My mother was rather surprised that she could not taste it, but I could, especially as I've become more and more familiar with it over the years. 
I have encountered a number of American scone recipes with beetroot and chocolate on blogosphere, but with a major difference.  I noted that the Americans like to cut their scones into triangular shapes.  I of course wanted to follow the British tradition and use a round cutter.

Oh I should also point out that these are not those supermodel scones that you see piled high  in the window of fancy deli's or bakery, these lack height, but not flavour.  And once your set your eyes on them, they will have got you all curious too.  

I have to put my hands up and admit that this Chocolate Beetroot Scone recipe is hardly perfect, it still needs a little tweaking, but I think it is good enough to share with my loyal readers and those of you who now and again stumble upon my humble blog space.   
 If you like the sound of these beetroot chocolate scones, you may also like some of my past chocolate and beetroot combo, ranging from brownies to waffles! 
Beetroot and Chocolate Waffles 
Beetroot Chocolate and Almond Brownies
Beetroot and Chocolate Swirl Muffins
Beetroot Chocolate Cake with Beetroot Dust and Beetroot 'Buttercream' Icing

I am sharing these  Chocolate Beetroot Scones with Choclette ofChocolate Log Blog  for this months We Should Cocoa Challenge. The challenge this month is being hosted by Ness of Jibber Jabber U.K and has chosen vegetable as the surprise ingredient.  As beetroot is a wicked ingredient, I am also sharing these scones with Calendar Cakes which is hosted by Dolly Bakes.  This month the challenge is hosted at Laura Loves Cakes with the theme something wicked this way comes...as these scones have that devilishly red tint hence the awsome guesome colour very appropriate for Halloween, I think they will be warmly received.  
Beetroot and Chocolate Scones
Makes about 10 -12 depending on size of your cutter
225g self- raising flour
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
120g cold unsalted butter, diced
120g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 medium raw beetroot, shredded and then blitzed in a food processor to a pulp
Optional: 80g dark chocolate chips
100ml milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk 
In a large bowl, sift the flour, then stir in cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate soda, salt and combine well.
Then add the butter to the flour mixture and rub with your fingertips until it begins to resemble breadcrumbs. Stir in the caster sugar ,the pulpy beetroot and chocolate chips and combine.
In another bowl, beat the milk and the egg, then slowly pour into the floury beetroot mixture, be careful as you may not need all the liquid and work gently until it comes together as a dough. 
Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out the dough to about 1½ inch thick.
Cut out the shapes, re-roll the dough (be careful, it may be a tad sticky) and cut out more circles, until all of the dough has been used.
Lay the scones on a baking sheet that has been sprinkled lightly with plain flour.
Using a pastry brush, lightly coat with the milk and sprinkle with sugar 
Bake in preheated oven at gas mark 6/200oc for 12 – 15 minutes or until lightly golden.


  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, minus the whipped cream of course :)

  2. love beetroot recipes and beetroot does pair wonderfully with chocolate - these scones sound just my sort of afternoon tea

    1. Thanks Johanna, washed down with a cuppa of tea :)

  3. It was very brave of you to cook with an ingredient you're not too keen and especially to put them in scones! Thanks for entering them into We Should Cocoa this month.

    1. Thank you JibberJabber. I am always looking for ways to cook with beetroot, who knows one-day I will actually be converted, but no harm in experimenting.
      Will you believe me if I tell you that I have also made a savoury version of Beetroot Scones, I hope to share them later in the week.

  4. Love the idea of beetroot in scones Shaheen and now wish I'd thought it. My mother used to make scones in a big round and then cut it into triangle slices, so I'm pretty sure that's not just an American tradition. I expect it's just an old-fashioned tradition. CT doesn't like beetroot either, but he manages to polish it off if I put it into cakes. Thanks for entering these into We Should Cocoa.

    1. Thank you Choclette. I couldn't enter my Beetroot Chocolate Cake again, now could I :) so it had to be somethign differernt this time. You know what, I actually came over your blog and did a search as I was convinced either you or one of WSC entrants would have made it and was rather surprised, so went ahead with it. Good to know that your mother made them in triangle shapes. I do think they are much easier to do than cutting them out in rounds.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You