Sunday, 20 October 2013

Apple - Pear, Spinach and Brie Pizza

As a food blogger, I am very surprised at myself in that I have hardly any pizza recipes on my blog.  I can't even think of the reason why this may be the case, its not even that we order pizza's.  

Oh well, today that is going to change.  
I had been given three pears by my parents a week or so back, around the same time I was given green tomatoes.  I was glad to have them, already in my head making plans to make this Pear, Walnut and Blue Cheese Tart, but had completely forgotten about them as they got hid under the pile of citrus fruit to stave away my recent cold.   Thank you to those of you who came by to wish me well.  I do feel much better.
I made this (above) Pear, Spinach and Brie Cheese pizza yesterday later afternoon, and again this afternoon encouraged by my husband who really, really liked it.  


I did make a few tweaks second time round. For example, I chopped the spinach, in the first pizza it was just strewn over whole; and the walnuts were also chopped.  I also added an apple, cored and sliced of course.
Its sweet and savoury.  The sweetness comes from the honey and pears, and the savoury undertones from the garlic and Brie cheese, a little sharpness and crunch from the apples and walnuts.  All in all, a nice change from knife and fork grub, as well as a nice change from a tomato sauce based pizza.  
Pear a few months back, still growing in my parents garden
I am sharing a slice of this home-made pizza with Elizabeth's Kitchen for Shop Local #2, as the pears and spinach came directly from my parents garden; and as its totally made from scratch, I am also sharing it with Javelin Warrior's for his Made with Love Mondays.  
Pizza with pear, apples, spinach and brie cheese
Serves 4
Ingredients
Fro the pizza dough
260g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
2 teaspoons dried yeast
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon caster sugar
2 tablespoons extra virgin oil, plus extra for greasing
185ml luke warm water
for the pizza topping
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon runny honey
2 cloves garlic, crushed
100g fresh spinach, washed and roughly chopped
1 pear, halved, cored and thinly sliced
1 sharp eating apple, cored and thinly sliced
60g walnuts, roughly chopped
80g Brie cheese, sliced
freshly ground black pepper to taste
Method
To make the dough, combine the flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a large bowl.  Make a well in the centre.  Stir the olive oil into the water, then add to the flour mixture and mix to form a dough, then knead for about 5 minutes.  Place in an oiled bowl, then cling wrap and place in a warm place for at least an hour for it to doubled in size.
Lightly oil a large pizza tray and dust with a little flour.  
Preheat oven to gas mark 7/220oc.
After an hour, knock back the dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.  Knead for a minute, then roll into a ball, and using a rolling pin, roll it out to fit snuggly into the pizza tray.
In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, honey and garlic.  Then using a pastry brush  coat the pizza base with it.  Evenly scatter over the chopped spinach, and arrange the pear and apple pieces over it.  scatter over the walnuts and then carefully place the Brie cheese over it.  Drizzle it with a little extra olive oil if you wish, and season with a little freshly ground black pepper.   
Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, or until the base is crisp and golden.
Slice and enjoy immediately.


9 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious I want pizza for dinner (and I just ate my dinner) - I made pizza on the weekend and was really uninspired about the savoury one but made a lovely chocolate one too - wish I had seen this post for a bit of inspiration before I made it - pizza is very popular in our house so I will keep this pizza up my sleeve for another time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna, Curious about your chocolate pizza now :) so will come on over to have a nosy. Pizza may become a feature in our home too, I made the pizza base with plain flour, worked well - but I think I am going to purchase bread flour for future efforts.

      Delete
  2. Now that's a combination I would really enjoy! Mind you, the blue cheese pear and walnut combination is hard to beat - especially in a salad. My pear tree produced 9 pears this year - not a lot, I know, but they were very tasty, and it's so nice to be able to eat home-grown produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark.
      I would have topped this pizza w/blue cheese, but brie was all I had to hand. My parents didn't have loads of pears on their tree either, but they were tasty.
      PS Loved your post on the chestnuts and envying all those tomatoes - red and green!

      Delete
  3. Oh yum this sounds GORGEOUS! I could really go a slice of that just now please :) Thank you for sharing with Shop Local!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. I hope to share other local produce, not just those from my parents garden :)

      Delete
  4. I love the combination of flavors and textures in this pizza, Shaheen! I'm with you - there are so many different options outside of the traditional tomato and cheese... Sorry to hear you were under the weather but I'm glad to hear you're feeling better...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen