Friday, 4 October 2013

Green Tomato and Coconut Curry

My father grew some tomatoes, not grown in a greenhouse but straight in the ground in the garden under the South Wales skies that this year proved to be much kinder than the last.  Well he gave me the last of them, about a handful of green tomatoes,  advising me to put them in the window sill to ripen, but I think he's was having a laugh when he said ripen in the window by the sunshine.  As the sun has not shone since he bestowed these jade jewels upon me.  So I decided to make a South Asian Green Tomato Curry inspired by one I had seen in Celia Brooks cookbook New Urban Farm: From Plot to Plate.

I made a Green Tomato and Coconut Curry last night.  It was different to my usual spiced up curry dishes in that this one was toned down by the coconut milk.  It was not overly spicy, subtle in fact and the green tomatoes imparted a zingy zang flavour.  All in all it made a nice change.  I served the curry with Basmati rice.

I apologise for the lack of foody photographs as it was too dark to photograph the dish as the above photograph will justify. So you will just have to imagine how it looked.  The reason, I think I've mentioned before that D works odd hours and comes home from work just after 10pm. I sometimes go ahead and eat without him, but when it dishes that don't re-heat well, then I wait. Sometimes, I have left-overs and I can photograph the dish the following day, but not this time. We finished the pot off between the two of us. 

Vegan Green Tomato and Coconut Curry
Serves 2 - 3
2 - 3 tablespoons sunflower or vegetable oil
2 medium onions, peeled and finely minced
2 - 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
small knob of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 - 3 fresh red chillies, sliced
2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
Salt to taste
300g green tomatoes, washed and quartered
200ml coconut milk
In a wide pan, heat the oil, then add the minced onion, garlic and ginger and cook until soft and transparent, add the mustard seeds and allow to pop, then stir in the remaining spices, chillies and coconut and cook on medium heat for a couple of minutes until fragrant.  Stir in the chopped tomatoes and cook for about 8 - 10 minutes, or until the tomatoes begin to collapse, but not too much as you want to retain some of its shape.  Then finally stir in the coconut milk, bring it to the boil and simmer for a minute.  Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.   Serve immediately.  


  1. This time of year is a curse on food bloggers with the lack of light, isn't it? Do love the sound of your curry though. Yum!

  2. I agree with you and Jacqueline! Especially if like me you don't get the evening meal finished until after 6pm! I've been running out into the garden for the last of the light, but even that will be gone soon- hubby has promised to rig up a special light for then! I think I'll be trying out your lovely curry this week, as we have quite a lot of green tomatoes and coconut milk is our new pantry staple these days :)

    1. We've been taking lots of pics in the garden since we moved to this house, when we lived in Glasgow we had a good window view that gave good light, but thats gone. Maybe when we move home, we will get a room with good light.

      Do hope you get to try the curry, let me know pls how you like it (or not) :)

  3. Now that sounds interesting, I often get passed green tomatoes at this time of year and struggle to use them. I always want to do fried green tomatoes as in that wonderful film but the oven is never hot enough. I guess there's always some sort of chutney I could try. x

    1. Guess what Sally, I've watch Fried Green Tomatoes many years ago, but about a week ago i saw a DVD copy in the charity shop for only £1 and I picked it up. In the past I've made green tomato chutney too but i have to say, this curry made a nice change - after all how often do you get green tomatoes?!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You