Monday, 7 October 2013

Aromatic Green Curry

I don't know how you feel about green curries but I like them.  There are so many, but the ones that pop into my head instantly are Thai Green Curry;  Saag - a South Asian curry made with mustard greens; and the Palaak Paneer - Palaak being spinach which is what this Green Curry is based on; and even the pungent Fenugreek Curry, but today I share this Aromatic Green Curry.  

Why aromatic?!  Well make it, try and see. 



I've made Indian style green curries loads of times, but the one thing I never used to do is blitz the greens before hand.  I would often allow the greens to fall apart on slow cooking.  I only noted this method whilst watching Britain's Best Dish in 2007 and the contestant Shindi Chauhan simply processed the greens in a food processor.  The finishing dish looked far more pleasing to the eye too.  Since then I've adopted that method only for Indian style green curries such as this one.  
I also liked the sound of the Shindi Chauhan Dish, minus the chicken of course, as its copious amounts of coriander appealed to me.  However, I have toned the coriander herb with masses of spinach, sometimes even fenugreek as my husband sometimes finds the flavour of the coriander overwhelming.  The recipe has changed so much over the years that its completely different from the original, however I would still like to share the link to the original recipe with respect.  You can find it below.   
The Quorn is optional.  I've used it here only to mimic and substitute chicken breasts, but tofu or seitan would work well too, even paneer - The Indian cheese. I am sharing this recipe with Karen over at Lavender and Lovage for the October edition of Cooking with Herbs.
Aromatic Green Curry with Quorn*
Serves 4 with rice or Indian style bread, such as Naan Bread or Chapatti
Ingredients
2 - 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, peeled and minced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons grated ginger
4 green chillies, sliced
300g spinach leaves, washed
A good handful of fresh coriander, including stalks
200ml coconut milk
Optiona: 1 x 300g packet of Quorn pieces or Quorn chicken style pieces/Tofu/Seitan 
200ml vegetable stock
100g frozen or fresh peas
Salt to taste
Method
In a wide pan, heat the oil and then add the onions, garlic, ginger and chillies and cook over medium heat, until soft, stirring now and again to prevent it from sticking. 
In a food processor, blitz the spinach, coriander and coconut to a puree, then set aside.
When the onion mixture is nice and soft, stir in the pureed greens, stir well to combine and bring to a boil. Simmer for a few minutes for the oniony mixture to mingle with the green puree, then stir the Quorn pieces and the vegetable stock.  Simmer on medium heat for 15 - 20 minutes or until the Quorn is cooked according to packet instructions, stir in the peas in the last 5 minutes.   Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.  Inspired by this recipe by Shindi Chauhan on Britians Best Dish.


15 comments:

  1. So pretty! I need a good curry!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The copious quantities of coriander would disagree violently with me - I'm allergic to it - but I'd be fine with the blitzed spinach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what Mark, as i was typing this up - alongside my husband, I was honestly gonna give you a mention too as I remember you telling me about your dislike of coriander (as well as fellow blogger Johanna of Green Gourmet Giraffe). :) The coriander is not essential in the dish, but it may not be as aromatic!

      Delete
  3. Such lovely colours! My Italian father in-law is really anti-indian food but I may have to try and win him over with this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's a shame. I guess its a cultural thing, or maybe even an generational thing, my mother in law is not that adventurous with cuisine deemed to be foreign, though she will eat food from Chinese and Indian Take aways here, but i think those meals are far from authentic these days. I fyou do make this, maybe go easy on the green chilli and feel free to change to coriander for parsley.

      Delete
  4. this sounds divine.. I love green curries, anything with that wonderful aromatic fragrance is good by me!... love the colours here too and I love that you've used quorn which I think works really well in dishes like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dom. It was lovely.

      Delete
    2. Have to agree, this is a really smooth, filling, gentle and aromatic type of curry. I just found you after entering karenS herb challenge but will look out for more recipes from you x

      Delete
    3. Thank you Deena. I do hope you will come by again.

      Delete
  5. I adore green curries, they are so fresh and "zingy" and yours looks wonderful, just bursting with herbs and Asian flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love greens in currys. This year we have had an abundance of sorrel (which is so easy and forgiving to grow) when blitzed and added to curries as a substitute for spinach gives the most amazing lemon flavour, well worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love greens in curries. This year we have had an abundance of sorrel which we have blitzed and added to curries as a substitute for spinach. It gives a wonderful zesty lemon flavour, well worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jerome, especially for taking the time to comment. I love sorrel, sadly haven't had any for a few years. Used to when I would grow some of my own fruit, veg and herby greens

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen