Tuesday, 8 October 2013

Last of the Blackberries for Blackberry Cake

Last of the blackberries...eh
Brambles aka Blackberries
Unlike my last Strawberry and Blackberry contribution that was beautiful to the eyes, I have to admit that Blackberry cake is not much of a looker, but it tastes pretty good, especially draped with double cream, or even ice-cream when hot out of the oven.



Its sort of a upside down cake, glossy and messy from the blackberries that burst and fall apart on baking. This particular cake is best enjoyed warm.
Upside Down Blackberry Cake
Serves about 8
Ingredients
200g unsalted butter at room temperature
120 golden caster sugar
4 eggs
100g self-raising flour
60g ground almonds
1 teaspoon baking powder
260g golden syrup
240g or thereabouts of blackberries
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180oc.
Butter a round 22cm glass or ceramic pie dish.  
Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the eggs one by one, beating in between each addition.  Fold in the flour, almonds and baking powder.
Pour the golden syrup into the tin and scatter with the blackberries.  Pour the cake batter over the blackberries and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until springy to the touch.  
Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes, before turning it out onto a large plate.  
Slice and serve with double cream or ice-cream.

12 comments:

  1. Looks pretty good to me !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the cake looks wonderful; what a great idea to make it like upside down cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks really good. Plus, I just love cakes with ground almonds. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, long time near hear stranger -How are you Lauren.

      Delete
  4. I've never thought of using blackberries in an upside down cake - it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never tried an upside down blackberry cake! Looks yummy though! I always find the colour of blackberries inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that cake looks mighty tasty to me - and love our pic of the blackberry brambles - are they in your garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna, here's me belittling the cake because it doesn't loo the most fantastic, yet here I am with plenty of comments proving otherwise. Nah the brambles are not from the garden, its an old picture from our archives.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen