Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Baked Sumac Spinach Spring Rolls

I always have some sumac in my kitchen cupboard, I love its unique twang that adds sourness the way lemons do; and am always looking for inspiration of other ways to us it.  

I visited my local library a little while back and picked up a Middle Eastern cook book called Classic Vegetarian Cooking from the Middle East and North Africa (2000).   I have various cookbooks by Arto Der Haroutunian, Anissa Helou, Nada Saleh and Claudia Roden, but never come across the Middle Eastern food writer Habeeb Salloum.  The only reason I think this is the case, is that he is a Canadian food writer.  I am really excited about the cook book and have already bookmarked a number of recipes including Sumac Toasts, Pumpkin Kibbeh, Pomegranate Pizza and Basil Rice Pilaf...

but today I share with you some Baked Sumac Chickpea Spring Rolls.  This is my recipe and hope meets with your approval. especially those of your of Middle Eastern heritage.  Please note that these Spring rolls are nothing like the oriental variety filled with bamboo shoot or the South Indian Asian version that is spiked with spices, this is tangy and spinachy bulked up with chickpeas and crisp texture from the flaky filo pastry.  I could have shaped them into triangular - like samosa shapes, but for ease and sheer laziness went for the spring roll variation.
You can if you so wish, shallow fry these spring rolls in vegetable oil, but I didn't have loads of oil in my kitchen cupboards, so lightly coated it with a tablespoon or two of oil and then baked it in the oven, turning it over a couple of times for even baking.  I am sharing some of these Baked Sumac Spinach Spring Rolls with What I Ate Wednesday#144 hosted by Peas and Crayons,
Baked Sumac Spinach Chickpea Spring Rolls
Makes about 12
Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for coating 
1 onion, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons sumac
1 teaspoon ground allspice
Salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
120g spinach leaves, washed and roughly chopped
1x 400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
12 square spring roll filo pastry sheets
Method
Heat the oil in a wide pan, and add the onions and cook until soft and tender, then stir spices and cook gently, stirring it now and again for the spices to infuse the soft onion,  Then stir in the spinach and chickpeas and cook on medium heat for about five minutes.  Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.  Turn of the heat and allow to cool.
When the mixture is cool enough, divide it amongst 12 spring roll wrappers and seal it with a little oil.  Then bake them in the oven on a lightly greased tray at gas mark 5 for 10 minutes, then flip then over and bake for another 5 minutes or until golden.  serve immediately with a cooling dip.

14 comments:

  1. These sound delicious Shaheen. Bet they would be great for a party as well. Thanks for introducing me to a foodwriter here in Canada I was not aware of. Bren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Gardening Bren. Yes, they surely would be great for a party too.
      Yes, it was a lovely discovery. Hope you find some of his books in the library.

      Delete
  2. These look wonderful- I must try out sumac. Your blog is looking lovelier and lovelier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get round to trying sumac. Your words re my blog Thank you, really..but I haven't changed anything on my blog, so the compliment made me smile.

      Delete
    2. It's the photography on the posts I like the look of. Love the way it's often taken outdoors.

      Delete
    3. Ah, thank you. The photography is shared mby myself and my husband (usually the good ones are his :). We do try and make most of the light.

      Delete
  3. I don't have sumac because I try and keep my spices stash down but this does sound good and maybe I should try some. I love spring rolls and love finding new ideas for them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Johanna I am surprised.I hope you get some, but even moreso, lots of reason to use it up. I've had it before, when its just sat and it loses that unique sharp flavour, so do purchase it when you have a recipe you really really want to try.

      Delete
  4. They sound great, I'm going to have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sooz. Let me know how you find them.

      Delete
  5. These sound incredible! I love any kind of spring roll!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sumac is one of those spices I buy and then use once a year because I can't think up enough uses for it. By the time I need it next, the existing jar in my cabinet has gone rancid and I need to go out and buy a new one . . . which I throw away the following year.

    The flavors and ingredients in these spring rolls appeal hugely to me since I love middle-eastern food. Time to use up that sumac!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I store my sumac and some of the other spices a small glass kilner jar to last longer. In the past I have wasted it too, but now try my utmost to think of recipes to make with it, but that is easily said than done as other recipes take over.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You