Saturday, 19 October 2013

Vegetarian Chorizo, Sundried Tomato and Pistachio Savoury Cake

I am looking forward to getting my mitts on Clotilde Dusoulier French Market Cookbook via the library, unless it is bestowed upon me as  Birthday or Christmas gift. Anyway, I was happy to flick through her first cookbook Chocolate and Zucchini with renewed energy and decided to cook a recipe I've had bookmarked a long long while. 

 I made her Cake Tomate, Pistache et Chorizo translated as Sun dried Tomato, Pistachio and Savoury Loaf a couple of weeks ago, if I am honest.  I made it for D's lunch box, he had three times in one week.  And I snacked on it, every time I went to the fridge.  It made for easy eating.

Savoury cake is certainly an acquired taste and one I have to say that I was acceptable to me. 
It has a twang from the yogurt and the sun-dried tomatoes, a little spicy kick from the chorizo and crunch from the pistachio nuts, that D loves. 
I am sharing this recipe with Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes who is hosting Octobers Edition of Bookmarked Recipes: a monthly blog event initiated by Ruth of Ruth's Kitchen Experiments.  In her book Chocolate and Zucchini Clotilde Dusolier writes 'The English word 'cake' is used in French for a variety of baked goods made in a loaf pan...sweet versions...cake aux fruits confits...while savoury ones(cake sales)'.  Therefore I do hope that Alphabakes accepts my entry as they have chosen the letter C this month.  Alphabakes is alternatively co-hosted by either Caroline atCaroline Makes or  Ros of The More Than Occasional Baker.

Vegetarian Chorizo, Sun dried Tomato and Pistachio Savoury Cake
One 8 inch round cake tin with removable base or a loaf tin
Ingredients
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
150g plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, at room temperature
150g Natural or Greek yogurt
100g vegetarian chorizo, sliced.  I made my own vegan chorizo sausages thanks to a recipe by Terry Hope Romero, but you can also purchase them in the form of  Wheaty Spacebar or 
8 sun-dried tomato halves, finely diced
80g unsalted shelled pistachios, chopped
Small handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Method
Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180c.
Butter a 8 inch round cake tin and sprinkle in 1 tablespoon of the sesame seeds and shake to make sure it coats the tin including the sides.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
In a medium bowl, mix together the eggs and yogurt. Sift the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, stirring until incorporated, be careful not to over mix.
Gently stir  in the chorizo, sundried tomatoes, pistachio and parsley. Then spoon the batter into the prepared cake tin, smooth the top, and sprinkle evenly with the remaining sesame seeds.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the cake just feels set in the middle.  Allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from the tin.  Cut into slices when ready to serve.I don't normally republish recipes, but this one readily available on blogosphere. Adapted slightly from Chocolate & Zucchini by Clotilde Dusoulier


12 comments:

  1. what a great snack - I quite like using veg mock meats like this - did you need to use a bit more oil as veg versions usually have less oil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna,
      No I didn't at all. It worked well, in fact I've made another variation but will showcase that later on.

      Delete
    2. will look forward to your variation (I think I would like one with tofu bacon which is my mock meat of choice)

      Meanwhile I have nominated you for a meme that I thought you might find fun if you have the time - http://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/2013/10/a-z-bookish-survey.html

      Delete
    3. I've not made tofu bacon as of yet, my husband really likes the one I make. I will have a go at some point with the tofu version.
      And thank you so much for nominating me for a meme. Very kind of you x

      Delete
  2. Wow, I'd love to try a savoury cake. I've done savoury muffins before, so I guess that's similar. Looks tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you little vegan bear, just to point out this has eggs and yogurt.

      Delete
  3. I'll definitely be trying that...easily veganized with some flax seed goo and soy yougurt...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pls let me know if and when you make the vegan version,i'd be curious to try it and who knows even replicate it.

      Delete
  4. What a fascinating recipe. I'm not surprised that you bookmarked it. I've not tried many savoury cakes before and I have to say that this sounds really tasty. I am also impressed that you made your own vegan chorizo! Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Baking Addict. I was a bit nervous that you may not accept it in the challenge, thank you for doing so.

      Delete
  5. I've never seem anything quite like this Shaheen. It is such a beautiful bake. Bet it was good! Thanks for entering it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jac. Yeah, I really enjoyed it with the veggie chorizo, which reminds me I will have to make some more this week.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You