Sunday, 3 November 2013

Beetroot Mousse

I made some Beetroot Mousse a few weeks back.  To amuse myself I poured some of the beetroot mousse into heart shaped ramekins.  


My version looks nothing like the one featured via an on line newspaper, I mean this in relation to the colour , its not a shockingly wild pink that make your eyes go wow!   Still, my au naturale home made version is still rather stunning I think.  
Although the beetroot mousse is made with agar agar, a vegetarian gel setting agent, this mousse is not light and fluffy the way you would imagine a mousse to be, nor is it wobbly jelly like. It is creamy in an Angel Delight kind of way.  Its taste was quite different to how I had expected it to be - earthy.  In fact it was very creamy and sweet.  I think this a good recipe to bookmark as a a light starter for Valentines day or an Anniversary of sorts.  This recipe makes lots, so I sent some over to my mother and oldest nephew, both said they enjoyed it.  

I served the Beetroot Mousse with some Italian bread sticks, I know they are really easy to make, but this time round they were shop bought.  I am sharing this recipe with Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes who is hosting November Edition #29 of Bookmarked Recipes: a monthly blog event initiated by Ruth of Ruth's Kitchen Experiments 
Beetroot Mousse
Serves 6 - 8 as a starter
Ingredients
500g cooked beetroot, pureed in a food processor
300g double cream
Salt and pepper to taste
10g agar agar
Juice of lemon
Method
In a food processor puree the cooked beetroot until smooth.   
In a saucepan, bring the cream and agar agar to a simmer in a pan and season to take.  Remove from the heat, when cool pour into the food processor along with the lemon juice  and blitz until smooth. Carefully divide the beetroot mixture between 6 - 8 ramekins.  Then chill in the fridge until set.  
This is Simon Rimmers recipe for Creamy Beetroot Mousse.  You can also find the original recipe if you click on this link. or for a slightly spicier version, see hereI don't normally reproduce recipes when I follow the recipe word for word, but this one does appear readily on the worldwideweb, so I have included it here.  Hope that is okay with you Mr Simon Rimmer.  

11 comments:

  1. I love beetroot! My boyfriend thinks I'm weird that I love it so much because it tastes like dirt (I admit that) but I never knew how many dishes you can make with it! I really love these beetroot recipes you've been sharing. :)

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adi, you tell him it doesn't taste like dirt, but the earth! :)
      Your not wierd, you just like your veg. Yes, I have to admit, as a vegetarian I have learned to be much more creative with vegetables, especially beetroot that I was never a fan of , and now look at me - cooking with it all the time.
      Have a good week.

      Delete
  2. Pretty mousse- what if anything would you recommend as a vegan sub for the cream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not off the top of my head, sorry - do you have any ideas. Actually, I think silken tofu would would superbly here. No need for veg gelatin or vegan cream sub.

      Delete
    2. I love the idea of using silken tofu. It would be fun to make a layered parfait of the beetroot mousse alternating with an orange sweet potato mousse and maybe a purple carrot or white parsnip mousse. Cheers!

      Delete
  3. how utterly divine!... what a glorious idea, would love to try these x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dom.
      One to keep in mind for the romantic evening meal.

      Delete
  4. Ooh how lovely though the boyfriend would run a mile, might try and scale it down as 8 might be a tad too much despite my beetroot love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I agree 8 is quite a lot. Good for a party though :)

      Delete
  5. What an unusual recipe Shaheen and such a fab colour. I bet it was gorgeous with breadsticks.

    Thanks for entering it into Bookmarked recipes, the roundup is now up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jac. I thought so too, but after discovering it - I have come across a number of other versions, one by Simon Hopkinson, which I have bookmarked!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen