Monday, 18 November 2013

Vegan Haggis, Neep and Tattie Pie

I made a version of these vegan Haggis, Neep ad Tattie Pies early this year to celebrate Burns Night in Wales,  but unfortunately, I did not get to share a picture of the pies or the recipe, so in anticipation of St Andrews Day, I thought I'd give them a go again, this time they were topped with the saltire. 

These Haggis, Neep and Tattie Pies went pretty fast at the weekend, so much so that my family did not get to try any. Therefore, I will be making some more this weekend, this time to share with them.  They are proper packed and quite filling, still if you wanted to serve something next to them, perhaps some steamed winter greens and some good honest vegetarian gravy. 
Here it is sliced in half, so that you can see the filling and the layers.  At the bottom the home-made vegan Haggis, then a think layer of neeps aka turnip or swede; and finally tatties aka potatoes. 

If you want more vegetarian haggis inspiration, follow this link that will show you some of my past haggis recipes, many of which were made when I lived in Scotland; and the other link here will take you to my lovely blogger friends Johanna's blog Green Gourmet Giraffe; and Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes, both of whom have inspired me with their own vegetarian haggis recipe creations over the years.
I am sharing this recipe with Recipe of the Week hosted by A Mummy Too; and My Legume Love Affair #65.  MLLA  was created by Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook, and is now run by Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen. This November it is being hosted by Denny of Oh Taste n See... 
Vegan Haggis, Neep and Tattie Pie
Makes 5 - 6 depending on the size of your tins or use a 8 inch round tin with removable base for ease.
Ingredients for the vegan haggis filling
60g pinhead oatmeal, soaked for 1 hour) then drained and set aside
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 large onion, finely minced
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 tablespoon Tamari or soy sauce
100g puy lentils or brown lentils
100g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and gated
400g vegetable stock
100g cooked kidney beans, chopped
80g cooked barley
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Saute the onion and garlic in the oil until soft.  dd the lentils and carrots and spices and cook for a few minutes to prevent it from sticking to he pan, then stir in 400g vegetable stock and allow to simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils begin to soften and the liquid becomes thick.  Then stir in the mushrooms and cook allowing them to soften, before adding in the kidney beans, barley and pinhead oatmeal.  Season with salt and pepper and stir well. Turn off heat and allow to cool. Adapted from this recipe.
Ingredients for the Tattie layer
Peel, cube and boil 400g Maris potatoes or equivalent in slightly salted water until very soft.  Drain and mash with a little vegan margarine.  Set aside and allow to cool.
Ingredients for the Neep layer
Peel, cube and boil a large turnip or swede in slightly salted water and until soft.  Drain and mash with a little vegan margarine.  Set aside and allow to cool.
Now make the pastry
You have two choices for the pastry.
For ease, you can use shop bought puff pastry or shortcrust pastry suitable for vegans.  
Roll out and line tin, fill with the filling and top with the pastry and cook according to packet instructions.
Or You can make you own hot water crust pastry. 

Follow here for the recipe. For individual pies, see here.
Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 or 180oc.

Fill the pastry: first with the vegan haggis, then a thin layer of neep followed finally with the mashed tatties.  Top with pastry lid.   
Optional blue stripes/saltire can be made with excess pastry with a little blue food colouring, knead and then roll and cut out and top your pastry
Bake for 30 - 35 minutes depending on the size of your pies. 
Allow to cool, before serving.

24 comments:

  1. Love the saltire and the layers - I have been getting some not too subtle hints about haggix and St Andrews Day - maybe I should make pie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, I'll be making some more of these pies this w/e

      Delete
  2. Wow, this looks really lovely! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely trying this! Love the Nessie too!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Let me know what you think.

      Delete
  4. Love the little nessy to go with it, very cute! Vegan haggis is one of my recent favourites, I always tell my mum to buy some in for when I come home! Will have to give this a try next time I'm in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be lucky to find it in England or Wales, Scotland the best place for haggis.

      Delete
  5. that is genius.. I love the layers all covered with pastry... gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dom. Did you see my Welsh Tart?!

      Delete
  6. looks delicious! Do you have a wheat free recipe for pastry that is also potato free?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working on one GZ, hope to share the recipe soon.

      Delete
  7. Do you reckon that Nessie is a vegan? He/she probably is, you know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. No, not vegan - I think this Nessie may be a pescetarian.

      Delete
  8. Very nice haggis variation :) will keep this recipe in mind for Burn's Night
    Love the subtle hints at the Saltire and Nessie to personify Scotland :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Torwen. Would you believe me if i told you i picked this Nessie (part missing) from Cardiff of all places, not Scotland. Nessie has featured before on my Irn Bru Jelly

      Delete
  9. Vegan haggis? Amazing! :) I'm really keen to try making this. I love the way you've presented it too.

    Thanks very much for linking up with #recipeoftheweek. I've pinned this :) Also I've just put a fresh linky live for this week and would love you to join in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and for pinning the link.
      I hope to link up again this week. Have another pie recipe!

      Delete
  10. These sound amazing! Bookmarked for future baking! Love the little flag on top too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wanted to try out a vegetarian pie, and this one looks perfect. Thanks for submitting to MLLA and congratulations - you are the winner of MLLA #65.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Denny. And wow, I've won again, I am glad the draws are random - otherwise, people may start thinking its a fix. Thank you.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You