Monday, 4 November 2013

Savoury Vegetable Cake

After enjoying the vegetarian chorizo, sun-dried tomato and pistachio savoury cake a couple of weeks back. I followed it with another version, but this time with everyday steamed vegetables: cauliflower, carrots and green beans.  

I think they turned out pretty good.  Unlike the previous version that had a bit of crunch and twang, this variation is plainer and perhaps would be more agreeable to those who do not have such an adventurous palette.  I'm not naming any names here, or pointing fingers - but you know the kind of people I mean.

Here is the Savory Vegetable Cake all sliced up.  I think it would be great finger food buffet as its not messy at all, so maybe one to bookmark for the festive season.  I also think it would be erfect for lunch boxes too, therefore I am sharing some of this Savoury Vegetable Cake with Eat Your Veg and Bangers and Mash for Family Foodies, the theme this month is lunch box ideas.
On another point, some of you may remember reading one of my previous posts when I mentioned getting my mitts on Clotilde Dusoulier French Market Cookbook via the library, unless it is bestowed upon me as  Birthday or Christmas gift.   Well a lovely blogger friend called Janice from Farmersgirl Kitchen emailed me that very afternoon and shared that she had been sent a copy to review and would be happy to part with it as her bookshelf was burgeoning with books,  Well of course I was happy to take it off her hands, delighted in fact and more so I accepted it graciously as a Wedding Anniversary gift.  Once again, Thank you so much Janice.

Cauliflower, Carrot and French Bean Savoury Cake
One 8 inch round cake tin with removable base or a loaf tin
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
150g plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, at room temperature
150g Natural or Greek yogurt
100g green beans, topped and tailed and then cut in half and steamed until al dente 
1 medium head of cauliflower florets, steamed
4 carrots, peeled and sliced, then cooked 
Small handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180c.
Butter a 8 inch round cake tin and sprinkle in 1 tablespoon of the sesame seeds and shake to make sure it coats the tin including the sides.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
In a medium bowl, mix together the eggs and yogurt. Sift the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, stirring until incorporated, be careful not to over mix.
Gently stir  in the cauliflower, green beans, carrots and parsley. Then spoon the batter into the prepared cake tin, smooth the top, and sprinkle evenly with the remaining sesame seeds.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the cake just feels set in the middle.  Allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from the tin.  Cut into slices when ready to serve. Adapted from Chocolate & Zucchini by Clotilde Dusoulier


  1. You are very welcome, I hope you make many delicious dishes from it.

    1. Thank you so much Janice. Its been sitting next to my bed the past few days, I flick through so happy to know that I have a copy of my own. Oh yes and I am still deciding what to cook from it first,

  2. That is a really nice looking cake, with the different veggies showing up in every slice!

    1. Thanks - I agree the veg do look pretty in it.

  3. This looks delicious, but I'm definitely have more of an adventurous palette. :)

    1. Thanks Adi, then try the previous one with lots more flavour!

  4. Shaheen this looks so good.I'm glad i found your space thru MLLA.

    1. Thank you so much Princy, esp, for choosing to follow that is v. kind of you.

  5. I wonder if I can sub broccoli for the cauliflower because I have everything else on hand. Gorgeous cake

  6. I love the look of your vegetable cake and I think my kids would love this in their lunchboxes as much as me! Brilliant entry for this month's Family Foodies challenge - thank you.

  7. this looks great - I am sure it would be fantastic to take for lunch - I am always looking for ways to get more veg into lunch without mess.

    And that is so kind of janice - just a demonstration of the kindnesses in the food blogging community - am sure you will do the book justice

  8. this looks really interesting - I can't imagine how it would taste - like a scone? I've just spotted your parsnip & date cake that looks amazing so I'm off to look at that too...

    1. Thanks Helen,
      No its nothing like a scone, more closer to Quiche like.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You