Monday, 11 November 2013

Vegan Parsnip and Date Cake

I think I jinxed myself early this month, when I mentioned on twitter that November was going to be a good month for me, its been anything but...so far.  

A couple of things happened last week, one that brought me close to tears and the other sent chills down my spine, hence the lack of blogging the past week.  I may share with you what this was in the next few days, but truth is I don't really want to dwell on the continuous lows happening in my life and try and focus on the little good things that come my way. 

Today let me share with you this bronzed cake studded with chopped dried fruit.  I had originally intended to make my vegan Parsnip and Raisin Cake, but noted I had run out of raisins, so I substituted them with some chopped dates, which for some reason I seem to have plenty off.  

This is a dense, yet moist cake.  I found every mouthful moreish and chewy from the dates.  I could have enhanced the cake further with vegan 'cream cheese' frosting or a light dusting of icing powder, but I actually preferred it au naturale this time round.  
Vegan Parsnip and Date Cake or Mini Loafs 
Serves 8 - 10
Ingredients
2 cups self raising flour
1 cup of golden caster sugar
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of baking soda
2 tsp of cinnamon
3 cups grated parsnips
3/4 cup of vegetable or sunflower oil
1/2 cup of apple juice
1/2 cup of dates, chopped

Method 
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180oc and grease a 9x9 inch square pan with oil or 8 - 10 mini loaf tins.
Mix together the flour, sugars, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon until thoroughly combined. Add the grated  parsnip and the oil to the dry ingredients and mix well with a spoon.
Add the apple juice and mix again, then fold in the dates.
Put the batter into cake tin or mini loaf tins.
Bake for 45 minutes for larger version or 25-30 minutes for smaller versions; or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the centre.  Allow to cool, before removing from the tin and slicing.


12 comments:

  1. I'll have to try this one!
    Wishing you well
    xx gz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely looking cake, just what you are wanting at this time of year. Have been wanting to experiment with parsnips in baking for a time, they are just so beautifully flavoured. A pecan and maple appeals. Your recipe has certainly encouraged me to give it a go. I hope that things get brighter for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shonaigh,
      What a beautiful name.
      Yes, pecan and maple do sound appealing, may try that combo next time round, as I am always making variations of parsnip cake - one of my favourite combo is with violet syrup.
      Thank you for the kind warm wishes,

      Delete
  3. Love the idea of putting parsnip in a cake! Can't wait to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love parsnip cake & love this addition of dates, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely egg-free recipe :)
    hope for a friendlier time for your future. Keep your tail up, Dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Torwen, Do hope your keeping well.

      Delete
  6. I prefer cakes without icing too and this looks lovely - sorry to hear there have been lows - best wishes for some good times which you are due

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna, I am having to use vegan cream frosting on the one I am selling at my stall. You know what they say, people eat with their eyes and if they looked like this, plain - there would not be many takers. Thank you for the warm wishes, much appreciated. Waiting for next year to hurry up, surely better times are ahead, I am getting exhausted of the bouts of ill fortune, even when I do my utmost to get out of this hole, things conspire against me

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen