Monday, 30 September 2013

Black Rice and Butternut Squash Savoury Fritters

I am pretty pleased with myself, missing only four days of blogging for Vegan Mofo 2013 two days of which have been the weekend.  Will you forgive me if I told you it was because I had my own vegan/vegetarian food stall at a Food & Craft Market yesterday?!

Anyway, I've enjoyed participating in Vegan Mofo 2013.  As a vegetarian, its not been that hard for me to cook vegan meals at home.  It has been harder to eat out though, there are not that many places in Wales, United Kingdom that offer imaginative vegetarian or vegan dishes, hence the reason all my post have been about home cooking.   
Well for my last post for Vegan Mofo, I thought I'd share a dish I made some time last week.  Its Black Rice and Butternut Squash Savoury Fritters.  

I mentioned a little while ago that I came across some black rice in my kitchen cupboards , well with half a bag still left, I wanted to try these fritters.  The texture of the black rice is interestingly chewy against the sweetness and softness of the butternut squash.  I think these fritters would be best served with a delicate flavoured sauce, maybe a sweet chilli sauce, rather than the fiery chilli sauces that I am accustomed too.  By the way, I still have 150g black rice left over, so you will see another black rice dish from me next month.
Black Rice and Butternut Squash Savoury Fritters

Makes about 8 - 10 
Ingredients
About 500g butternut squash, peeled, seeded and grated
160g cooked black rice
6 Spring onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon allspice
100g chickpea flour
Vegetable oil for shallow frying
Method
In a wide bowl, combine the squash, black rice, spring onions, salt, allspice and chickpea flour.  Mix well until the mixture holds together in firm patties. If necessary, add more chickpea flour to help it to stick together.  For
Form the mixture into patties about 3 inches across and 1/2 inch thick.  (Below I tried to be clever and make squares, but they didn't quite work)
Heat a little oil in a non-stick fryng pan over medium-high heat.  In small batches, square the cakes for 3 minutes per side, or until golden and crisp.  Drain on paper towels and keep warm until all are done. Eat immediately.  Adapted from The  Artful Vegan by Eric Tucker.

10 comments:

  1. I hope your stall proved popular, and spread the word to a few more enthusiasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so so Mark. Sold a lot of Rhubarb and Rose Cakes and Violet and Parnsip Cake - the Beetroot Chocolate Cake was a conversation starter - all were vegan. Though a tad disappointing start, I will probably do it again end of this month, only reason I won't is if I find f/t employment and that is not happening as soon as I wish.

      Delete
  2. These look really good!
    Where in Wales do you live?
    I'm sure I know, but I've forgot x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire. South East Wales, not far from Cardiff.

      Delete
  3. They look gorgeous! I never know what to do with black rice so I always put it in soup. I'll try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you veganbeckles. I used to also put it in a soup, my favourite one is made with parsnips.

      Delete
  4. I've enjoyed your vegan mofo posts - it has been hard keeping up but there have been lots of dishes I have been bookmarking - these fritters look lovely - I have never cooked with black rice - and I fear buying such stuff because I have too many unused bags in my pantry but I do have wild rice which might work here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Johanna. I fell the same about your vegan mofo posts too. I know what you mean about being left with lots of bags of unused food - this black rice was exactly the same. I still have some left over that I may just use in a soup. This recipe should work ok with wild rice, i am sure of it.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen