Wednesday, 11 September 2013

Sea Salt and Balsamic Vinegar Kale Crisps

I love it when I find bunches of kale, the rustling leafy green still in tact clinging tight to its hard core stalk.  I love it because for me its an invitation to make some kale crisps

I've mentioned before that Kale chips are expensive to purchase and yet like most things, so cheap to make at home.  In the past I've made my simple crispy curly kale chips, even cavolo nero strips of chips but this time I wanted to enhance the flavours a little more, but not too much - I do love my spices, but this time I wanted to go for sharp and zingy, so here are my Sea Salt and Balsamic Vinegar Curly Kale Crisps. 

This is not an original recipe as there are many available on blogosphere, but below is how I make mine.  If you do make these, just make sure you pull of the hardy stalks as they are not nice to chew on.  Its the curly leafy part you want to eat, as the sea salt and balsamic vinegar coating will bake and cling on and explode in your gob when your munching on it. 
If I find some more curly kale, I'll be making some more of these crunchy morsels - but on my list to make too is a green drink!  am sharing this recipe with Fat Tuesday hosted by Jill at  Real Food Forager; and Ricki at Diet, Dessert, Dogs for her Wellness Weekends 12-16 September. 

Sea Salt and Balsamic Vinegar Kale Crisps
Ingredients
Bunch of kale
1 teaspoon olive oil

11/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
Sea salt
Method

Preheat the oven to gas mark 5/190oc.
Remove and discard the hard stalks and veins from the kale, then rinse it well and dry it thoroughly.
In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil and balsamic, then stir in the kale to evenly coat the leafy kale.  Then lay them apart on a non-stick baking tray.  Sprinkle over the sea salt and bake in the oven for about 8 minutes, turning over once halfway.  Please do keep a close eye on them, as it takes only moments for them to burn to a crisp!

12 comments:

  1. ha! i love kale chips! i just blogged about them too.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snap, Sian.
      Yeah I did see them yesterday. Made me smile.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE kale and very rarely remember to buy it and I have crispy kale just like this in a restaurant a few days ago and it is divine... your pics look so pretty. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dom.
      I will pass on the compliment to the photographer, this time it was not me :)

      Delete
  3. Would this perhaps work with Ruby chard? (as it's the same spinach family)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, Sandie, the leaf is not as robust. You can try though, who knows. let me know please how they turn out

      Delete
  4. I love kale chips! I even bought a dehydrator so I could make some!!! I burnt mine using the oven method! Haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you do need a watchful eye on the oven, moments from being from delicious to dreadful.

      Delete
  5. It sounds so easy Shaheen - I'll really must give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still have never made kale chips. I love to eat raw kale salad at the moment so never have any left over but I must make time for this recipe. The combination of salt and balsamic vinegar sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to try raw kale salad. So we must swap this habit Laura.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You